Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just installed SuSE on a system containing WinXP Pro. Both OSs are installed on the same HD. The installation of SuSE went better than expected and Windows was detected ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Dual Boot With LILO

I just installed SuSE on a system containing WinXP Pro. Both OSs are installed on the same HD. The installation of SuSE went better than expected and Windows was detected and set up in LILO for me with Linux as the default boot. When I first boot to the HD all I got was:

L 09 09 09 09 09 09...etc.

I Had to rewrite the MBR to boot back into WinXP and can only boot to Linux with the install CD now. Is there a line I can add to the boot.ini file in Windows? Is there a way to get LILO to work? Should I use a third party boot program?

SuSE has the boot loader configuration in YaST, try running that, it should detect the XP install, and then setup the computer to use LILO or GRUB depending on what u select

check out the peice that I wrote on these sort of problems in the Suggestions section, under the heading "Download Grub Diskette"

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

read draft 2 of the GRUB piece in :-
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6221

and also read the tutorial section for the post on dual booting WinXP and Linux.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!

grub vs lilo

if you want to just have a system that will work, almost effortlessley use grub. but if you want to learn something worth knowing use lilo. it's a little more work but thats why people use slackware over red hat. so it's up to you.