Find the answer to your Linux question:
Sorry total newbie here! I have just installed Red Hat on a secondary hard drive, I was worried about my Windows instalation , so I just unplugged that drive, put ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Have i made a mistake!

Sorry total newbie here! I have just installed Red Hat on a secondary hard drive, I was worried about my Windows instalation , so I just unplugged that drive, put in the spare one and installed linux, my question is how do I now get the choice to pick what operating system I want to load? Have I messed up by not letting linux know there was another drive? Sorry if this has been asked before!

Linux Engineer
    linux installations are generaly very good at not destroying windows installations (unlike windows destroying linux installations) so really you would have been better off leaving the disk plugged uin as redhat can configure it automaticaly. what filesystem is in use on the windows disk? do or ntfs? you can easily add a few lines to grub.conf that will allow you to boot to windows.

heer is a good example grub.conf:

Code:
    # Which listing to boot as default. 0 is the first, 1 the second etc.
    default 0
    # How many seconds to wait before the default listing is booted.
    timeout 30
    # Nice, fat splash-image to spice things up :)
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=redhat Linux
    # Partition where the kernel image (or operating system) is located
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel (hd0,0)/kernel-2.4.22 root=/dev/hda3

# The next three lines are only if you dualboot with a Windows system.
    # In this case, Windows is hosted on /dev/hda6.
    title=Windows XP
    root (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1

Just Joined!
    Windows file system is NTFS, sorry not sure how to add the command lines!, Would I set my linux drive to be the master or slave? Cheers!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    the way you do it is by having a boot loader. This is a teeny bit of software that sits on something called the master boot record (MBR) of the hard disk that you're boot from (remember that this can be set in your BIOS).

So, boot from your Linux partition and make sure that it has installed Grub on that MBR (see Variant's posting about the /boot/grub/grub.conf file and also check out the tutorial section that has a peice on doing EXACTLY what you're wanting, also I've written a rather length piece on the joys of Grub that you can find in the Suggestions section under "Grub diskette download").

Once you have made sure that Grub is installed and correct, you should be able to boot into Grub (as in, reboot your PC and Grub's menu will appear).

THEN you can re-plug in your WinXP disk (making sure that you're still boot from the LINUX disk first) and reboot. Again you'll get Grub's menu, one entry of which should be Uncle Bill's wonderful operating system .

And there you have it.

If WinXP has been installed using the NTFS file system you will have problems truely sharing data between it and the Linux disk.

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    you would want the linux disk to be primary - so that grub is loaded first. the config file you need to edit is in /boot/grub/grub.conf you can edit it in any text editor. you will probably need to mount /boot first though so (as root user) type mount /boot then type nano /boot/grub/grub.conf nano is a text editor if you dont have it then use something else like kate (if you use kde) or somesuch. add the following (altering the "root (hd0,5)" to point to your real windows partition)

# The next three lines are only if you dualboot with a Windows system.
    # In this case, Windows is hosted on /dev/hda6.
    title=Windows XP
    root (hd0,5)
    chainloader +1

if you dont know what numbers that you need to type then let me know what partiton and hard disk your windows install is on /dev/hda is equivalaent to Drive c: in windows /dev/hdb would be Drive d: