Find the answer to your Linux question:
Whenever I download a tar file and try to unpack it I can never get it to work. The README files tell me to type 'make install' but whenever I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing programs

Whenever I download a tar file and try to unpack it I can never get it to work. The README files tell me to type 'make install' but whenever I do this I get something that says 'nothing to do with install.' What does this mean, and is there any other way to get the program installed?

My second question is this, how do completely unistall something? Like in Windows, there is the Add/Remove section. Is there anything like that or any command that does that?

Third question: in Linux there are so many files and directories that I dont know what they are or what there purpose is. Is there any way to figure out what each directories and files are important and what they do?

Thanks

Linux Guru
    1: Try the correct order instead. First, run "./configure", then run "make", then run "make install". Be sure to be in the source directory when you do it. Also, know that make install must be run as root. The best way to do that is su -c "make install".

2: If you have an RPM based system (such as RedHat), running "rpm -e <package>" will uninstall <package>. If you installed from source, you can usually run "make uninstall" in the source directory to uninstall.

3: See http://www.linuxforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=1212. If there are any more files or directories that you're wondering about, don't hesitate to ask. There is also this URL: http://vinelinux.org/fsstnd-1.2.txt.

Just Joined!
    hi mitchhulese!

you see, its not really hard to compile oe setup a program in linux. you just have to follow the README intructions carefully... just what Dolda2000 said do it in sequence and proper order.

Third question: in Linux there are so many files and directories that I dont know what they are or what there purpose is. Is there any way to figure out what each directories and files are important and what they do?
    if your beginner, start reading the basic of linux commands and some howtos that relate to what you want, from there you can start building your vocabulary commands...

to know more about the commands.. try this at command prompt...

man <command>
    <command> --help

hopes this helps!

~noelt.