Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey This is a follow-on from a question I posted yesterday about my modem, but I've realised the problem is not (yet) specifically to do with installing the modem so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

No usb devices detected.

Hey

This is a follow-on from a question I posted yesterday about my modem, but I've realised the problem is not (yet) specifically to do with installing the modem so I'm posting as a new thread.

It seems none of my usb devices are being seen having installed Ubuntu 6.06. They don't show up in dmesg, and I get absolutely no output with lsusb -v. lsusb -t tells me 'cannot open /proc/bus/usb/devices. no such file or directory"

The things I've got plugged in include an Epson R200 printer, a canoscan 4200F scanner, speakers, a usb phone and a speedtouch modem. There are a couple of things connected via a hub, but the scanner, modem and phone are all plugged in directly.

Any suggestions as to what I do now?!

Xenny

Linux User
    The Speedtouch modem can be difficult.

I have a Speedtouch 330. I installed an ethernet (modem) router instead because it was much easier.

See http://www.linux-usb.org/SpeedTouch/suse/index.html

On another forum we were told that there were Speedtouch 330 installers on sourceforge. Check out http://sourceforge.net/search/?type_...Speedtouch+330

Just Joined!
    Thanks. I really will give that a go when it comes to setting up my modem. But at the moment nothing's even being detected - no modem no printer no scanner. Nowt. I'm stuck!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    ok,what about output of the command 'lspci'.do you have something like this:
    USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82440MX USB Universal Host Controller (prog-if 00 [UHCI])
    Is your BIOS configured to recognize usb devices?
    try this tutorial too...
    http://www.linux-usb.org/FAQ.html
    regards

Just Joined!
    Hey,

I don't get anything from lspci.

Is your BIOS configured to recognize usb devices?
    I'm not sure what that entails. Sorry! My usb devices function fine in windows.

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look.

Linux User
    My usb devices function fine in windows.
    the BIOS is fine...

They don't show up in dmesg, and I get absolutely no output with lsusb -v
    ok,make sure that your kernel supports USB,and all the usb related modules are loaded...
    may be you have to compile the kernel with usb support.
    that link I provided might be able to you
    regards

Just Joined!
    ok,make sure that your kernel supports USB,and all the usb related modules are loaded...
    may be you have to compile the kernel with usb support.
    I wondered about that. Okay I'll check out the link to see how to find out if the kernel supports usb, and if not I'll go ahead and follow instructions on compiling.

Many thanks for your help

Just Joined!

Same prob

i have got the same problem on my test board. I didnt get any output of the command lspci -v my usb is OK.
    it also creates the directory in the /proc/bus/usb but no devices files in there same for the pci ...
    no output of lspci ??
    any hints i have enable all the options in kernel while compiling.