Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all .. i tried searching the forum for this but i came up with posts unrealated to my quesion .. I see these combination of letters when downloading some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Naming processer types x86 ,ppc etc..

Hi all ..

i tried searching the forum for this but i came up with posts unrealated to my quesion ..

I see these combination of letters when downloading some packages .. i386,i586,i686 .. I asked a friend about them but i wanna get more information about this here rather than private messages

1- what processor type each combination letters refer to ?

2- the packages or even the distro designed for a specific processor type compatible with others or not ? i dont mean the different ones like sun and intel but the same brand like pentium 3 and 1
    example : a distro designed to run on i586 .. can i run it on my i686 machine ?
    a package name contains i386 > can i install it on i686 or 586 ?

3- this is an optional quesion : if the distro was designed for a processor type ,say i586 but i run it on i386 machine , the speed will be affected ?

Thank you in advance

Linux Newbie
    Powered by Gentoo
    never ever ever use the hardened option in make.conf!

Just Joined!
    Thanks ..
    it answers almost all my quesions ..

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru

Re: Naming processer types x86 ,ppc etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Hussain
    Hi all ..
    2- the packages or even the distro designed for a specific processor type compatible with others or not ? i dont mean the different ones like sun and intel but the same brand like pentium 3 and 1
    example : a distro designed to run on i586 .. can i run it on my i686 machine ?
    Yes

No / Not recommended.

3- this is an optional quesion : if the distro was designed for a processor type ,say i586 but i run it on i386 machine , the speed will be affected ?
    Proberly Not possible

Re: Naming processer types x86 ,ppc etc..

Yes, without problems, since the i586 and i686 are backward compatible.
    You can say that: i386 < i486 < i586 < i686
    (i486 = i386 + more, i586 = i486 + even_more = i386 + more + even_more, ...)

Quote Originally Posted by jasonlambert
    Proberly Not possible
    Depends on if the compiler uses i586 specific optimizations/instructions.
    If it uses and instructions which isn't present in i386 but in i586 when executed it will generate an exception (iirc #UD2 - invalid opcode/instruction) and the app will not beable to continue. But if the code only uses instructions that also are present in i386 it will run fine.
    Speed might be affected, there are some optimizations on the other that's slower on the first and the otherway around. But I'd guess since it's regulary HLL (high level language) programs, I think speed will be affected (maybe not not able by 'common' users) - different aligning, instruction ordering, etc.
    Basic rule: if you got a i586 machine, use the i586 version, if you don't know or have an i386 use i386.
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.