Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've been working through a book on Linux and recently installed Red Hat 8.0. Following a lab in my book I installed the apt package manager with the Synoptic GUI ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

RPM question - Please help

I've been working through a book on Linux and recently installed Red Hat 8.0. Following a lab in my book I installed the apt package manager with the Synoptic GUI front end. Using Synoptic/apt I upgraded my Kernal and all the installed packages.

Now, in a later lab I am learning how to compile and install programs from source code. Everything goes along great until I execute the "make" command and an error occurs telling me I do not have a suitable "C" complier installed. My lab procedure tell me I may encounter this error, and if so; go back and install the Developer tools off the CD-ROM.

Problem: When I go to install the Developer Tools off the CD-ROM, the installer flags about 8 dependencies that are needed. In checking my packages I find that I have all the programs identified as dependencies, just newer versions. (I guess they where all upgraded when I ran the apt/Synoptic utility).

How do I install additional RPM's off the CD after upgrading existing dependencies?

Linux Engineer
    Find the newer version rather than using the one in the CD.
    The best things in life are free.