Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
If I download the Linux drivers for my winmodem, how can I access the files using Red Hat 9.0? Since the drivers will be downloaded to a Windows XP directory....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Access Windows directory using Linux

If I download the Linux drivers for my winmodem, how can I access the files using Red Hat 9.0? Since the drivers will be downloaded to a Windows XP directory.

Linux Newbie
    /mnt/windows/ but why can't you just download to Linux?
    If you love something, emerge it

Just Joined!

mount windows

i am using ma 9.1 it has all ready mounted my windw s partion and i can see it how ever i can not acess them there seems to be a step missing

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I didn't think I could download to Linux since I only have internet access with Windows XP. When I download the device drivers, they are going to be on my Windows partition.

Linux Engineer
    ur right about the download lcoatiosn thing.

what do u mean u can see but not access stuff, is the /mnt/windows (or /mnt/nt) directory there? can u open it? what is inside it?

Since u are using Win XP, i assume the hard disk is formatted to ntfs, therefore u will need to use:
    Code:
    mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/win (assuming it's on partition 1 of IDE device 1)
    Hope this works ok for ya!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Linux Guru
    also see this for a good explaination:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3181

if all else fails, just copy the file onto a floppy and then copy it off again in Linux. Yes, I know that this is not a very sophisticated way of doing things, but HEY, it works :P

have fun

Nerderello
    ps. I trust that you've also looked at the tutorial section of this site to see the stuff on LINMODEMs

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Linux Engineer
    Use smbfs or smbmount to mount your windows directory to linux, then you can access everything you have under it in linux.

Code:
    smbmount //client IP/dir /mnt/mountdir -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword

or

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword //client IP/dir /mnt/mountdir
    Regards

Andutt

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    Use smbfs or smbmount to mount your windows directory to linux, then you can access everything you have under it in linux.

Code:
    smbmount //client IP/dir /mnt/mountdir -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword

or

mount -t smbfs -o username=windowsusername,password=windowspassword //client IP/dir /mnt/mountdir
    I doubt that will work. If I understand right, he needs to get the drivers from the same computer from the windows mount.
    If you love something, emerge it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast