Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi folks, I just installed a SuSE Personal 8.2 installation, and I was messing around with the various installed programs. So far everything seems fine, but I noticed a glitch ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Video Playback Glitch

Hi folks, I just installed a SuSE Personal 8.2 installation, and I was messing around with the various installed programs. So far everything seems fine, but I noticed a glitch when I play an MPEG video file with the installed MPLAYER program (in KDE). It starts playing normally, then occasionally it intermittently momentarily pauses, there's a scurry of hard drive activity, then playback resumes.

I looked through the preferences, and the only thing I could think of changing was activating the cache under the MISC tab, but that didn't make any difference. I activated it to the default 2 meg setting. The player also plays each file through twice as well for some reason. Although the glitching occurs for a bit longer rate when the video is set to double size (it's a 320x240 MPEG1 vid), it'll happen at normal playback size. Glitching doesn't occur on second playback.

Any clues? The program doesn't indicate a version number in the "about" box, so I don't know what incarnation of this player it is. All other settings in the player other than cache are default.

Here's my hardware for this system.

MSI K7T Turbo 2 motherboard (VIA KT133A).
    Athlon XP 2600+ (AXDA2600DKV3C)
    1 gig 133 meg CL3 ram (1-512, 2-256)
    Maxtor 90720D5 drive
    NVidia FX 5200 card (generic NVidia 0x0322 Linux driver used, monitor driver used is generic VESA 1024x768@75hz Linux driver)
    D-Link DFE-530TX 10/100 card
    D-Link DFW-500 Firewire card
    SIIG USB 2.0 card
    3ware RAID controller with NTFS format RAID0 array (I'm amazed SuSE had a driver for this controller! Not even XP Pro has one.)

At this time I'm Linux brain-dead, so if this requires a major hack, I guess I'll have to live with this for a while. Perhaps once I install the NVidia Linux drivers for this card (once I figure out how to install anything) it may remedy this situation

Thanks for any info on this.

Linux Engineer
    a couple of guesses at what it might be,

first video drivers, u say u use the standard driver, try downloadign one from nvidia.

second, do u have highmem support in your kernel, since u have over 960mb ram u realyl shoudl have this, else the last 40-50mb ram dotn work properly, i cant remember exactly what goes wrong but its not REALLY bad, just a bit bad.

try turning the cache size for mplayer up to 8192 (this works for me so...yeah)

im not sure on the exact specs but is a kt133 chipset even meant to run a xp2600+?

This is interesting because I sometimes use SuSE 8.2 Professional, and when I tried to use MPlayer with it I had the same problem. Using the cache option to solve this probably won't work (I already tried that).

When I use Mplayer under Knoppix 3.2 I have no problems. It could be that SuSE have left out some important package or other for legal reasons (they discuss things like this on their website). I wish I knew which package.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    >>second, do u have highmem support in your kernel, since u have over 960mb ram u realyl shoudl<<

I don't know if it is or not, as I really don't know my way around Linux yet. I just let SuSE do it's installation thing, I would assume it saw the ram and set the system up accordingly.

>>im not sure on the exact specs but is a kt133 chipset even meant to run a xp2600+?<<

Yeah, it's OK. This is a 266meg FSB XP, not the 333meg FSB chip.

Linux Engineer
    to quote stuff

write [ quote ] copied text here [ / quote ]

except take out all the spaces insiede the square brackets.

the default install sutff may well not support highmem, and its always better to run a self-compiled kernel than a distro default one anyway. install some kernel sources off ur cd, or download the latest ones and compile your own. be sure to select highmem up to 4gb.

If someone else can remember how to check for highmem support in a kernel coz ive forgotten.

Linux Engineer
    one thing you might try is hdparm and turning on DMA on your hard disks (something suse never seems to do by default) "man hdparm" will tell you how, alternativly if you trust me that much you could just run

hdparm -d1 /dev/hda

I had many problems with suse.. the version of mplayer that they distibute ont he cd's and the mplayer rpm on there site is totaly hacked up to remove anything that they consider to be a possible copyright infringment or somesuch this results ina player which only plays a few movie formats and dont even do it very well.. the only way to remedy this problem is to uninstall mplayer with yast and mark it as taboo - so it never reinstalls it. then download the sourcecode from:

http://ftp5.mplayerhq.hu/MPlayer/rel...r-0.92.tar.bz2

and compile it your self.. there are very detailed instructions on how to do this shich you can find useing the search function on this site (enter mplayer compile or something)

alternativly download and install getoo linux which will do everything you want it to:)

Thought I'd dig this thread up again. I tried doing what Variant suggested on my own box (in this case SuSE 8.2 Prof. running on 256 meg ram/60 gig h/d and Athlon 2600+) as I'd never used hdparm and curiosity got the better of me!

I can't remember the exact output I got from hdparm -d1 but gather that it switched on DMA support for my hard drive. What amused me (it doesn't take much :P ) was that mplayer speeded up my dvd output but the problem with the disk pausing and then starting up again still remained. I tried caching, but this didn't stop it from happening. It was like watching someone walk quickly down a street, then stop, then start etc... all at a good speed though. I think I might try recompiling mplayer. I also tried toggling framedrop on and off, but this screwed up my display (messy colours and blurring).

So what does anyone think... A kernel re-compile? [shudders] Haven't tried this yet[/shudders].
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Linux Engineer
    You could also try useing hdparm to increase the read ahead value for your dvdrom this should fix it.

ps dont be afraid of recompiling your kernel. remember to only remove what you KNOW you dont need from it - check it works and then make annother change. write down the changes you make so you can pout them back if you mess up.

todo it:

cd /usr/src/linux && make menuconfig

make changes and save config when you exit.

make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install

(note that bzImage is spelled with a capital I (i) the rest is all lower case)

then rename the working kernel -

cp /boot/bzImage /boot/bzImage-working

then copy the new kernel intolace

cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/

reboot and hope for the best:)

ps the first time you recompile its tedious and hard (ish) everyother time it is easy!

Thanks for the hints variant. I'll try this over the weekend and let you know what happened. I must admit to being nervous about this, but I have a spare h/d with another distro on it, so we'll see