Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ho boy, where to start... I just installed my first Linux system yesterday, SuSE 9.0 dual-booting with Win XP. At least it's supposed to dual-boot. My partition table looks something ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SuSE 9 booting and internet problems

Ho boy, where to start...

I just installed my first Linux system yesterday, SuSE 9.0 dual-booting with Win XP. At least it's supposed to dual-boot. My partition table looks something like this:

Code:
    /dev/hda    PATA drive, 
    /dev/hda1  FAT32
    /dev/hda5  FAT32
    /dev/hda6  FAT32
    /dev/sda    SATA drive, primary
    /dev/sda1  FAT32
    /dev/sda3  Linux swap
    /dev/sda4  Linux /root
    /dev/sda5  FAT32
    /dev/sda6  FAT32
    I chose GRUB as the bootloader and installed it to the MBR on /dev/sda. If it's of any relevance, the boot order was "/dev/hda, /dev/sda" Now, when I try to boot off that drive, I get a "GRUB geom error". There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the installation, it just doesn't run. Should I try LILO, or can anyone tell me how I might fix this?

I can boot up SuSE using the boot disks, and there I run into more problems. I'm connected to the internet through a Realtek nic connected to a DSL modem through a 4-port Linksys router. The network works just fine in Windows, but in SuSE, I can't even ping the router! The "ping" command just says "connect: network unreachable" or something to that effect.
    YaST detected my card and installed it as eth1. I've set it to use DHCP like in Windows, I've tried setting the default gateway to 192.168.1.1... I've tried everything. I have no idea where the problem is. Help? lol

Any advice you guys could give me would be really appreciated. =)

[Edit: Oh, and I think it's worth noting that when I view the system log in YaST, I see several lines saying modprobe couldn't find "/lib/modules/2.4.21-144-default/modules.dep". The directory doesn't exist. Could this be part of the problem?]

Linux Engineer
    to fix that modules.dep thing run
    modprobe -ae

i dont use grub but if it wants to boot hda then sda, but ur bootloader is on sda its not gonna be happy, try changing the boot order or load it onto hda.

what is eth0? usually that woudl be setup before eth1. run ifconfig -a to see what it says. also check that eth1 is beign given an ip address in the output of that command. my guess is ur dhcp server isnt working properly or suse hasnt been set up to look for it in the right place.

Just Joined!
    It boots! Thank you, I took your advice and switched the boot order and it worked. I got the impression it was not something to mess with, so I hadn't tried it yet. This'll make the troubleshooting a lot quicker. =)

I tried "modprobe -ae" (took me an hour to find out you had to run as a super-user), and it said the "--e" parameter was invalid. What was that command supposed to technically do?

[Edit: What kernel are you using? I read that modprobe reverts back to modprobe.old if your kernel is older than 2.5, and mine is 2.4.21-144. Just a thought...]

I'll work on the network next. In response to your question, there is no eth0 now. YaST had configured my Realtek nic as eth1, and some generic card was assigned to eth0, which was strange because I only have one, and my mobo's ethernet port is disabled. So I deleted eth0. I'll try setting it up again and see what happens.

Thanks again! =)

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Hellmaster, did you know that you're awesome? I did what you said and typed "ifconfig -a", and there was an eth0 entry, but no eth1 entry. Then I KNEW it was the problem. Sure enough, it works as eth0. I'm currently typing this from Konqueror. ^_^

Plus, as an added bonus, my soundcard suddenly started working when I fixed the bootloader. Now I'm even more confused, lol

Thanks the help!

Linux Engineer
    glad i could help.

try modprobe -a if -ae didnt work.

im using 2.4.25 until i finish downloading 2.6.3

modprobe.old? i was always told .old files were from when u replace something its the previous version. (ie the old version)

Linux Engineer
    I found that with suse (and redhat) after the install i had to go through and fix a lot of the "guesswork" that yast had done. that is the problem with and opt-out kind of system. If you can be botherd then i reccomend you download and install gentoo linux. it is an opt-in system and is exeptionaly powerfull. make sure you read through the install docs though and follow them properly.