Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all .. you know ,when the user make any changes for the bash shell ,everything goes when logging out .so how to keep these changes ?? i consult the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Custumization Bash permenentally ?!

Hi all ..

you know ,when the user make any changes for the bash shell ,everything goes when logging out .so how to keep these changes ??
    i consult the man page for bash .. it lists some files :
    /etc/profile
    a system wide inistialazation file ..any command included are executed when loggin in .

~/.bash_profile
    personal initialization file but private for each user ...

~/.bashrc

so if the first two files are used to make aliases and defining environment variables < what is the role of the .bashrc ? i read it is used for key binding , what is key binding ?

so anyone can clean this thing up ?

thank you in advance

I don't know the answers to all of your questions as I am still fairly new myself (though I've learned a lot from being on here ). What I do know is that you can save your Bash settings from the menu. For example, if you select a new 'Schema' there is an option to save your settings somewhere on that menu. Also if you change fonts and other display options the same thing should apply.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Just Joined!
    ok ..thank you , you remember me the settings i can make through menus

i dont mean these settings man .. but the settings you talked about concerns the terminal emulator program not the shell itself !!! in other words when you use the virtual terminal ( Alt +Ctrl + F? ) there is not any menus

the files i talked about are used to save things related to the way the shell works and behaves .. example : changing the shell prompt ! making aliases !

i just wonder what 's the use of the .bashrc ?? i read in a tutorail 2 years ago and it used the bashrc file for aliases ,but the manual page says the profile files used for aliases

do i talk too much ? :P

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close