Find the answer to your Linux question:
I used the Distro Chooser and was suggested Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and Mandriva as perfect matches along with Fedora, MEPIS, and PCLinuxOS which all failed the criteriun "I have never used ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Choosing a Distro, Live CD help, Newbie Questions

I used the Distro Chooser and was suggested Kubuntu, Ubuntu, and Mandriva as perfect matches along with Fedora, MEPIS, and PCLinuxOS which all failed the criteriun "I have never used Linux before."

I would like to use Live CDs to see which distro I want to use. I will be dual booting with Windows XP. I am using an IBM Thinkpad A30, 2.0 GHz Intel Pentium something or other, 512MB RAM. I found this for installing Kubuntu.

I made a Live CD of Kubuntu and tried to boot from it. I heard the CD drive whirring but it failed and ended up booting XP. I did not follow the thinkwiki.org instructions, I followed the instructions from Kubuntu's website. I did not do the Checksum thing because I didn't understand that. If I need to edit my BIOS, I don't know how to do so.

Will my USB devices such as iPod, external hard drive, Bluetooth mouse, etc. still work with Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by IMustBeEmo
    I would like to use Live CDs to see which distro I want to use. I will be dual booting with Windows XP.
    check this link...
    www.distrowatch.com
    you download iso image of live cds and burn it... this is site for download...
    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

If I need to edit my BIOS, I don't know how to do so.
    when you switch on laptop.. look at message "....." to enter setup
    "****" it can be Esc, F1, Del, Ctrl+S etc....
    after entring BIOS... look for Boot Up sequence...
    First Boot --- CDROM
    Second Boot --- Hard Disk etc etc... this might be a bit different from machine to machine....

Will my USB devices such as iPod, external hard drive, Bluetooth mouse, etc. still work with Linux?
    yeah !! everything works fine... for a few devices whose linux drivers are not avialable.. you can use some other ways like ndiswrapper... etc..

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    I created a live CD of Kubuntu and set my BIOS to boot from CD first, then HDD. I put the CD in and turned it on and it booted Windows from the HDD. What did I do wrong? Is it just your average coaster or did I make a mistake? Can you put a distro on a USB flash drive and boot from it instead?

i think that also involve the IDE cable setup. Did you put your CD-Rom on primary master?

also try to disable the option boot from HD, instead of putting your HD to second boot sequence, see if that works.

another thing, try to boot from CD using your WIndows XP CD, if that works then perhaps you didn't burn the ISOs right.

Just Joined!
    i think that also involve the IDE cable setup. Did you put your CD-Rom on primary master?
    I do not understand.

I don't have a Windows CD available. I think I didn't burn the ISOs right, but I don't know what I did wrong. Can you boot from a USB thumb drive? I think that would be a lot easier than wasting CDs.

Just Joined!
    I do not understand.

I don't have a Windows CD available. I think I didn't burn the ISOs right, but I don't know what I did wrong. Can you boot from a USB thumb drive? I think that would be a lot easier than wasting CDs.

Quick question, when you made your cd, did you just copy the image you downloaded onto the cd to burn it or did you chose the "burn from an image" or "create CD from an image" option? Just by moving the ISO on the cd will not make it work. When you tell it to create a cd from an image file, it basically extracts the files in the image and burns them all on the CD which will then make it work.
    -Crypto

Just Joined!
    I selected "Create a Data CD or burn an ISO image"

I'm using CDBurnerXP Pro 3 and I'm very confused about what settings to use. I check "Make Disc Bootable" but there's all sorts of other properties that become available when it's checked. They are Emulation Type, Load Segment, Sectors, Platform, [unchecked] Disable ISO File Delimiters ( ; ), and [checked] Enforce ISO Level 1 (8+3 char max). At the top there is also a place to choose a directory and it points to "CDBurnerXP Pro 3\Tools\DosBootImage.IMA