Find the answer to your Linux question:
I installed suse 9.0 pro the other day and everything is great exept I can't establish a dial up connection. I use an intel 537 pci card, which is recognized ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

suse 9.0 ppp

I installed suse 9.0 pro the other day and everything is great exept I can't establish a dial up connection. I use an intel 537 pci card, which is recognized and have also tried a usb modem. I have configured them both in kinternet and kppp. I can querry the usb modem nad the intel. Whe nI tell it to connect---nothing happens. What am I forgetting or missing?

Linux Engineer
    kppp should have some sort of failure message, post that up, and if u cant find anything click on the log botton of the dialling window and post the contents of it

Just Joined!

when I first open kppp, I get a massage that "You don't have sufficient permission to run /usr/sbin/ppd". And also it says " make sure that kppp is owned by root and has the SUID set. So I went to run command and ran it as root. It went through all the connection settings and I entered the info from my isp. Under the device tab, the only setting I can get a modem to recognize and not say" unable to open modem" is on /dev/ttyso. It says modem ready. initializing modem and then pulls up a window with slots named atl, atl1, atl2, etc. All slots are blank. Not knowing what this is, I click ok out of everything and tell kppp to dial. It says initializing modem and just sits there. The script log has no info and at the bottom it says "expected-ok". I don't know if I'm using the wrong device or what. Help!!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    as root in a terminal run:

Code:
    wvdialconf wvdial.conf
    hopefully this should detect your modem and set it up correctly. then all you have to do is add your username and password and the phone number to be dialed into this file:

/etc/wvdial.conf

save it and then run:

Code:
    wvdial

Just Joined!

terminal

ok, when I go to run command, options and check run in terminal window and then enter root inf, it doesn't let me do anything. Any command I enter just dissapears and nothing happens. When I go to system terminal and run /etc/wvdial.conf I get a mesage saying I don't have permission. I forget how, nut I did get a window to pull up in terminal (non root) that had wvdial info and I entered the user and pswd and number. Couldn't save because I wasn't in root(no permission). How do I get a terminal to open up in run command as root? No matter what I type, it just dissapears as soon as I hit enter.

Linux Engineer
    ok. go to run command and type:

Code:
    xterm
    int he window that pops up type:

Code:
    su
    it will prompt you for a password (the root password) just enter it and press return. you are now running as the root user in a terminal window. from heer you can run various commands to configure your system. start with this:

Code:
    wvdialconf wvdial.conf
    it will detect you modem (hopefully) and write a basic config file for wvdial. Now you need to edit this file and enter your password and username and the phone number to dial. I beleive suse uses pico as a text editor so type the following:

Code:
    pico /etc/wvdial.conf
    This will change the window into a text editiong mode. Using the keyboard add the details such as username/password and phone number in the places that are marked under those headings, dont worry about anything else in this file. now save the file by pressing the following keys:

CTRL + o (thats the letter o)

then

CTRL + X to quit the text editor

That should be the basic configureation for wvdial set up

now just type

Code:
    wvdial
    to start the connection

good luck

Just Joined!
    I think I'v half way got it. I was able to just log off and log back in as root. I ran /etc/wvdial.conf and got the dialer window. It listed as follows:
    modem = /dev/modem
    Baud = 57600
    Init1 = ATZ
    Init2 = atq0 v1 e1 s0=0 &c1 &d2
    Init3 =
    And then the rest. It says default modem info.
    I then ran wvdialconf wvdial.conf and it ran through and said scanning serial ports.....then at the end it said no modem detected- did you configure it with setserial?
    I had an internal modem and an external usb modem hooked up- neither of which was recognized. Should I buy a serial modem or is there something else that needs set up?(i.e. setserial?) By the way, thank you for your help!!!