Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, Im new to Linux started using it on Monday. I have a copy of Redhat 9 on CD and have installed it as a server. I would like to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Using Redhat instead of Windows

Hello,

Im new to Linux started using it on Monday. I have a copy of Redhat 9 on CD and have installed it as a server. I would like to also install and configure Exim 4 to use as an internal mail server. Initially I will be using Windows XP clients to send and recieve e-mail via Exim on the Linus box. Problem is I do not have a clue where to start.

I do not know how to install or configure Exim !

HELP

Linux Engineer
    Why do you want to use that email-software. If you have a full install on your system you should have sendmail and postfix installed already which is a good start. Read up on thoose first.

Good howto site.....

http://www.tldp.org
    Regards

Andutt

Just Joined!
    OK i've opted for sendmail done a bit of reading and checked out a few message boards. I only need to use this internally on a LAN, do I have to specify a SMART_HOST smtp.your.provider?, because I don't as yet have one.

Linux Engineer
    Is it true that sendmail's configuration file is horrible? I haven't setup anything regarding mail on my LAN, only exim for the internal machines.
    The best things in life are free.

Linux User
    sendmail's configuration file is not that horrible, its just a bit complicated I guess...but once you have gone through the whole structure and understands what each term stand for its ok...I am still learning all the nuances of sendmail though...and its taking a long time!!!
    Fixing Unix is better than working with Windows.
    http://nikhilk.homedns.org/projects/index.html

Just Joined!
    Right nearly there I think - I can access mail on the server, using evolution on the server itself, but I cantt access mail via outlook on a Win XP pc on the LAN. What do I need to do ?

Linux Guru
    What is it that prevents you from accessing your mail via outlook (ie. what error message do you get), and what method are you using to access your mail from evo?

Sendmail has two configuration file formats, so to speak... it has the "user-friendly" M4 front-end file, which "compiles" into the sendmail.cf file. I know nothing about the M4 file, but the cf file is to be admitted that it is far more complicated than most other programs' configurations, but it's not really like it's that hard to learn once you read the docs.

Quote Originally Posted by andutt
    Why do you want to use that email-software. If you have a full install on your system you should have sendmail and postfix installed already which is a good start. Read up on thoose first.

Good howto site.....

http://www.tldp.org
    Cause Exim kicks ass over sendmail thats why