Find the answer to your Linux question:
hy guys. I would like to install a 8.0 RedHat on a lowmemory computer. In RH 7 I managed to turn on the swap partition for use but in 8.0 ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Install on lowmemory pc

hy guys. I would like to install a 8.0 RedHat on a lowmemory computer.
    In RH 7 I managed to turn on the swap partition for use but in 8.0 I can not do that because it says I have not enough ram. Could you tell me what to do?

Linux Guru
    Where does it tell you that you don't have enough RAM, and how much RAM do you have?

Linux User
    Why not borrowing some RAM from friends etc? and just remove the ram after you installed redhat 8?

All of the Slackware versions that I have used (since version 5) have had a lowmem.i kernel that you can use to install the system onto an old dog. I figure that RH surely would hav a lowmem bootdisk image that you can dd to a floppy.

Linux Engineer
    ho wlittle ram are we talking here, coz i installed mandrake 8.2 on a cyrix 686 - 233MHz w/ 32mb edo and the only problems i had were a warnign message durign install about X not liking the lack of ram, and it runs about 40mb into the swap file during normal use.

X is a resource hog for sure...
    I am thinking that the very low memory amounts are in the 8-16 meg range. I have installed a basic system on a machine that became a DHCP/Packet-Filtering-Gateway server that had 8 MB RAM and 486/DX2 66. It still runs in my closet! (uptime is something crazy like 9 months!)
    If you want the Linux GUI desktop experience, you should expect to find that WonDoxx wil seem smoother for the greater part until more money$$ is put into making the XF86 server work better.

Linux Engineer
    Gentoo uses very little ram during install.

Just Joined!
    adam - what did u use to make that small router box? I am thinking of something similar...with 16meg of RAM....does slackware have mini version that will install a few daemone and run fine with low resources? .... someone earlier in post mentioned something (or only for during install?)...

I used the lowmem.i boot image, the color.gz root image, and specified the portions of the system that I needed; base system (including all of the utility programs like tar and egrep...), ide kernel, TCP/IP networking. Just the minimal stuff needed to route and filter packets coming into the network. The tricky part is really the IPChains rules. This will require you to really study a few different firewalls to really get the idea of what your particular firewall needs are. I think that RH and Turbo Linux both have prepackaged firewall/gateway's, I would only be concerned with the security of a default stamp gaurding my network, so you would need to figure out all of the things that would make it insecure anyway, so it would be better for you to just do it manually.