Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have tried to use my USB flash memory stick on linux and it isn't detected and mounted, is this because linux needs to correct USB drivers (USB 2.0)? where ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

USB 2.0

i have tried to use my USB flash memory stick on linux and it isn't detected and mounted, is this because linux needs to correct USB drivers (USB 2.0)? where can i get these?

First off, what kernel do you run? You can check with "uname -r"

IIRC, USB 2.0 has been in the kernel since 2.4.16 so if you're running a somewhat up to date distro, you should be fine.

When I were to enable support for my mp3 player, I just enabled usbfs, scsi-emulation and their friends, plugged it in, checked what device it used (hint: /var/log/messages) and mounted it. It isn't that hard, and I'd guess all flashsticks use the same chipset, so it should run quite good.

http://www.linux-usb.org is also a good place to check for information!

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    'When I were to enable support for my mp3 player, I just enabled usbfs, scsi-emulation and their friends...'

now i dont think i've done this somehow, how can i do it?

Its done in the kernel configuration, depends on what kernel you are using, but in eg. 2.6 the stuff you wan't is in "Device Drivers -> USB support and ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support". enable scsi-emulation there

Good luck

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by kriss
    First off, what kernel do you run? You can check with "uname -r"

IIRC, USB 2.0 has been in the kernel since 2.4.16 so if you're running a somewhat up to date distro, you should be fine.

When I were to enable support for my mp3 player, I just enabled usbfs, scsi-emulation and their friends, plugged it in, checked what device it used (hint: /var/log/messages) and mounted it. It isn't that hard, and I'd guess all flashsticks use the same chipset, so it should run quite good.

http://www.linux-usb.org is also a good place to check for information!

Good luck
    i am using kernel 2.4.18-14