Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently installed suse9.0 pro. When it boots up I can hear the sound. When I play games I can hear sound. When I shut down I hear sound. But ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

cdrom audio problem

I recently installed suse9.0 pro. When it boots up I can hear the sound. When I play games I can hear sound. When I shut down I hear sound. But when I put in an audio cd, the player launches and the tracks are listed, the counter is going but I have no sound. I have been into every sound preference I can find to make sure nothing is muted. I can even hear the hum when I turn the mic up. Does anyone know how to fi this? Please Help!!!!

Is there audio if you plug in headphones to the jack on the cdrom?

is the audio cable plugged from your CDROM drive to your sound card?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    Disable the arts server in kde sound properties and see if that makes any difference.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    The audio does work with headphones in the cd player, The audio is plugged into my motherboard(it is now) and still nothing. Would that be a bios setting? I can't find kde sound properties or anything that says arts server anywhere. What should I try next?

I had a similar problem using the gnome cd player, headphone jacks worked, speakers didn't, & I tried changing the cdrom -> soundcard connection: no dice. I ended up just using a different program that worked fine -> Totem.
    Totem seems alright, my audio works, even though, ideally, I would've rather corrected the problem as opposed to avoiding it.

Just Joined!
    I downloaded a video clip online and can hear it when I play it. The sound skips about every second though. I thought I would try to copy a cd into a home folder and then try to play it but I can't figure out how to copy the tracks. Does anyone know how or with which program?

Linux Engineer
    use grip to rip and encode the tracks onto your hard disk useing the ogg vorbis format.. or if you must you can use mp3:)

Just Joined!
    Thanks for everyones help. I was able to save it as a wmv file. I still can't play a cd from the cdrom itself-but what I wanted was to save anyway. Special thanks to variant for all your info on this and the wvdial commands-you've been a life saver!