Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, I just got my cd rom to mount and got webmin installed (I love webmin) But now, I cant log on to my samba server. Windows keeps putting my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Samba

Well, I just got my cd rom to mount and got webmin installed (I love webmin) But now, I cant log on to my samba server. Windows keeps putting my box name then a / then my login so I cant logon. What is the procedure for samba setup?

Just Joined!
    ok, nevermind the samba thing. Got that working. Is there a way to allow my samba users to create/edit files from windows? Im looking for a way to edit my html/php files from my windows box.

Linux Guru
    just make a share through samba for the directory where your webfiles are stored.

Jason

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I did make a share. The share doesnt allow me to create files on the linux machine from my windows machine.

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent2800
    I did make a share. The share doesnt allow me to create files on the linux machine from my windows machine.
    chmod 666 that folder
    Signature removed by moderator - please see forum rules

Just Joined!
    Ok, I forced my unix user to root, forced all permissions to 777, forced my group to root, set all the directories in /var/www to 666 and 777 recursively. And none of this is working to allow me to edit/create files from my windows computer. Is there another way for me to do this?

Just Joined!
    AH HA!! NEVER MIND WOOO HOOO!!! I finaly just used the file manager in webmin to set up a non webmin/samba module share... dont know exactly why this worked better but... it did

In the share definition in /etc/smb.conf, you have to add the line 'writeable = yes' to enable writing to the directory. You can also use the 'write list = ' to set which users can write to the directory and which users cannot.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy