Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I just got linux mandrake 9.2 today and I dont know anything about it, I dont even know how to get a music cd to play. Does anyone know of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake Newbie

I just got linux mandrake 9.2 today and I dont know anything about it, I dont even know how to get a music cd to play.

Does anyone know of a website where they explain the usage of mandrake 9.2 in a simple way

Mod edit: spelling, topic title changed.

Linux Newbie
    this site is a good place to start actually.... first you can tell us which window system you are using... most like either KDE or GNOME

Edit: also get a book, here's a suggestion that i found on amazon by typing 'mandrake' http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...737625-1265248

Just Joined!
    eehh I dont know

Just Joined!
    how do I find out?

Linux Newbie
    on the login prompt click the icon that says session.... if the box LAST is ticked then try both GNOME and KDE, otherwise tell us what was ticked..... see which one you like, then post any problems you have with it.....

1 tip though to learn things: just explore, dont login as root though cos you can do too much damage

Just Joined!
    i dont know if I have a login prompt? I shut it down and went back in two tim without seeing anything I could click on called session?

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxis
    i dont know if I have a login promt? I shut it down and went back in two tim whitout seeing anything I could klick on called session?
    do you login then? also another way to find out if your using KDE is to look in the menu (you may call it 'start menu') and see if you have an item called "Control Center".. if you do then your using kde, otherwise its most likely your using GNOME

Mandrake 9.2 installs kde by default, I had to go back to the disks to install gnome. I hated that.... What I found was a pain w/ man 9.2 was I had to return to the disks to install a fair bit of the software I usually use.

Just Joined!
    I went to the start menu and i looked i found in the configuration folder something called KDE innside there was warius things like power controll, security, and system... does that mean I use KDE??

Just Joined!
    so I think im using KDE can you give me that site you where about to write in the first reply you gave now please??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast