Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am running Mandrake 9.2. I am DEFINATELY a newbie. I have tried searching in order to learn without posting and was unable to find anything. My problem occurs when ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

HELP INSTALLING VMware workstation 4

I am running Mandrake 9.2.

I am DEFINATELY a newbie. I have tried searching in order to learn without posting and was unable to find anything.

My problem occurs when trying to install the VMware. I have downloaded Kernel 2.4.22 and installed it.. trying to overcome the "not matching of the 2.4.22-10mdk" issue.

Now that I have downloaded and extracted the 2.4.22 Kernel and answered the question:

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your running kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]
    WHICH IS: /home/mag/kernel/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel (where I exctracted my new Kernel).. I get this response:

The path "/home/mag/kernel/lib/modules/2.4.22/kernel" is an existing directory, but it does not contain at least one of these directories "linux", "asm", "net" as expected.

It DOES contain the "net" directory. What am I missing?
    Please help. Thanks[/u][/b]

Linux Newbie
    Hi,
    I have tried VMware and even installed windows98 and XP in it. Dont expect that you can play Quake3 Through Vmware

Dont upgrade from your distribution kernel just for the sake for trying some softwares
    Why are you trying VMware
    You are the one Linux!

Just Joined!
    are you serious? Maybe my previous posting was not specific enough. I am trying to install VMware and would like some assistance with this. Would someone please provide assistance with the installation of the VMware given the issues that I previously provided. Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Linux Guru
    You have to supply it with the header file directory in the kernel source tree. If your kernel source is located in, for example, /usr/src/linux, the header file directory would be /usr/src/linux/include.

Are you running this 2.4.22 stock kernel, or are you running the 2.4.22-10mdk kernel? If you're running the later, then you'll have to supply vmware with the source code for that kernel, not the stock kernel.

Just Joined!
    thank you. I'll give it a try. Much appreciated.

Linux Newbie
    May lord help you if you know what you are doing.
    You are the one Linux!