Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, this is one of those questions that seem really bad and google would solve in an instant! However im actually really stumped. The problem is such, i just downloaded ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

How do you compile a program

Okay, this is one of those questions that seem really bad and google would solve in an instant!

However im actually really stumped. The problem is such, i just downloaded xfree latest version, thrown it onto a cd and put the cd into my fedora computer.

Now its sitting in the computer, i have no idea what to do with it!

Ive learnt several things while reading what people have to say, and they often say linux software has to be compiled on the individual computer so that it its the most efficient it can be.

But what i havnt heard is, how do you compile it?

I hate to be a real pain, but i couldnt find the answer in google as a generic answer just bombarded with how to compile kernals and that just bewildered me.

Im running fedora... and i just want to know basically what i would have to do to compile software in a kind of step by step manner, im sure after i do it once with someone holding my hand i wont need to seem so stupid again =D (god and im taking an IT course...)

Thanks for your patientce and ignoring any spelling errors!
    /skythra

okies, first things first.

On the CD, are there tar.gz or RPM files ?

[Part 1: RPM's]

If they are RPM you can install those files with the command : rpm -Uvh or rpm -ivh

rpm -ivh installs the rpm.
    rpm -Uvh Upgrade/Updates the allready installed RPM.
    [used to go to new version of existing application; hence apache 1.3.28 to 1.3.29; as example]

Source rpms can be found back in /usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/<application name> where the full source code should be unpacked.
    Building you own RPM's isn't easy, when you are new to this. Check here for an rpm howto.

If you downloaded binary RPM's you don't need to compile anything.
    Just install them using RPM and they should work.

[Part 2: tar.gz or tgz files]

If you downloaded the source for X then create an directory, move the tar.gz or tgz file into it, the cd <directory>, and type : tar -zxvf <filename> to unpack it.

Use man tar for explemation on how to use tar.

To build the source:

type ./config or ./configure, type ls to see which one.
    This configures the source files for your system.
    After this is all done type: make
    This wil build the source files into one or more executables.
    type: make install to install the application.

This is roughly the basics.

[Disclaimer: PLEASE read the included README or INSTALL file on how to compile / install /etc source files. ]

[Disclaimer 2: Make sure you have the development tools installed during setup.... or install them ...]
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Newbie
    okay i knew there was a reason i could use that "everything" option when installing packages... ^_~ i better install that developer package =D

Thanks thats basically the exactly response i wanted and i couldnt ask for a better one.

and they are the tar.gz ones you mentioned =D im going to pring this page and stick it to the table.. im slowly covering it with info i need as basics so when i forget something i just look down and see teh linuxforums.org responses =D

Thanks!
    /skythra

There is another howto here on the linux forum: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials/RPM-HOWTO/

Forgot about that one..... Ooops.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.

Linux Newbie
    Oh i think ill quickly pass this problem:

after so long, for some reason i cant eject my cd rom. of course its an LG one and i havnt updated the firmware stuff, would that cause it?

It just says in fedora that its busy. I can read it (i assume) just not eject it.

strange.
    /skythra

umount /dev/cdrom

This will unmount the cd/dvd

To mount it : use the automounter or do it manualy by typing: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

see man mount for the manual.

Perhaps your cd drive is still mounted? You need to unmount it before it will spit out the disk.
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

Sorry... a dual post!
    I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn how to do it. - Pablo Picasso

No probs, those things happen

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Opnosforatou
    There is another howto here on the linux forum: http://www.linuxforums.org/tutorials/RPM-HOWTO/

Forgot about that one..... Ooops.
    You know, i have never seen this before.

You know, i wish i had seen this before.

You know, im at a loss of words, and i cant begin to thank you enough =D

Thats a beautiful link!
    /skythra