Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello everyone! I currently run Fedora Core 1 on my Toshiba laptop. This evening i was using ssh to access a remote shell i have on a server. Accidentally, I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

"w" utility in a network

Hello everyone!
    I currently run Fedora Core 1 on my Toshiba laptop. This evening i was using ssh to access a remote shell i have on a server. Accidentally, I discovered that the "w" command showed me what every single user was running as his/her foreground job.
    I was a bit concerned about this because i think it violates privacy. Is there any way of hiding the name of my foreground process so that people cannot see it?

Thank you a lot for your help!

Linux Guru
    No, that's not possible. People are supposed to be able to see it. It's the same with `ps -AH', wouldn't you agree?

I do agree with your point about privacy in a way, of course. However, UNIX has never had a way of hiding your processes from another user, and I don't think that there will be a way either. Apparently, noone has considered it a privacy issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolda2000
    No, that's not possible. People are supposed to be able to see it. It's the same with `ps -AH', wouldn't you agree?

I do agree with your point about privacy in a way, of course. However, UNIX has never had a way of hiding your processes from another user, and I don't think that there will be a way either. Apparently, noone has considered it a privacy issue.
    With grsec you can hide your processes from other users.. A lot of shell servers etc.. use that feature AFAIK

Kriss

Linux Guru
    Oh, I should have guessed. I'll have to download grsec and check it out more closely. I'm sorry if I mislead anyone.

Just Joined!
    I just checked grsec.. but apparently it is a kernel patch... The server is not mine, its my university's so i just ssh to it to check my email in a faster way and to manage my files.. So im not really able to patch the kernel

Do you guys know if there is any program that will act as intermidiate between me and the program i am willing to run so that when someone does a 'w' they will just see the name of this program, instead of the one that i am actually running? kind of a shield....

Thanx a lot!

Linux Guru
    If anything, that would be a program like `screen'. However, it doesn't really matter, since there is still ps.