Find the answer to your Linux question:
My server is running Debian 3 and I want to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.3 stable. I have obtained the source from kernel.org and extracted it. I know next I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Kernel Compile Checklist

My server is running Debian 3 and I want to upgrade the kernel to 2.6.3 stable. I have obtained the source from kernel.org and extracted it. I know next I :

make menuconfig and set everything I want compiled
    make clean
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install

Questions: bzImage is the boot image correct? I know I will need to edit my bootloader next. I'm asking you guys because this is my first kernel compile and the machine is in a datacenter in Chicago so I don't want to make any mistakes

- Does Debian have any other ways of doing this? I know I don't want a precompiled kernel so this probably isn't an option.

- My server does have odd SCSI drivers. Do I need to compile this into the kernel, and if so, how do I specify the path to them?

Thanks for the input guys!

Linux Guru
    One thing with the 2.6 kernel that you must think of is the fact that it has a completely rewritten module loading subsystem, so the current modutils don't work with it. You will have to download module-init-tools from kernel.org. Make absolutely sure to read the README of module-init-tools, or it most probably won't work for you.

Also, if your system is currently using disk labels for identifying partitions (such as passing root=LABEL=/ on the kernel cmdline), you will most probably have to get rid of them, and replacing them with the actual device instead. I've never seen disklabels work when upgrading the kernel.

I don't know exactly how Debian does certain things, but you may have to look over the startup scripts to make them compatible with the new /proc hierarchy that is due to the new module loading. For example, /proc/ksyms doesn't exist in 2.6, which breaks RedHat's startup scripts. The USB host controller modules have also been renamed.

Also, mkdir /sys and add an fstab entry to mount the device-less sysfs filesystem on it. sysfs is a new filesystem similar to the proc filesystem, only with a different purpose.

As for the SCSI drivers, you have to make sure that they are even compatible with the 2.6 kernel. It might be possible that 2.6 ships with native drivers for your hardware, so check that as well.

I've probably forgotten something...

I upgraded my Debian box to 2.6.3 and had no problems but i dont use LKM's but all you should have to do is apt-get install module-init-tools . Im not sure about the SCSI drivers check Google to see if they are supported.

I normally start with a
    Code:
    make mrproper
    before the make clean and the make xconfig (much better with 2.6)

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS