Results 1 to 4 of 4
i know this post thread isnt supposed to be in this newbie section but rather in linux applications, etc .. BUT since i dont fully know anything about linux applications ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
- 03-04-2004 #1
- Join Date
- Feb 2004
a newbie request for which/version of decent appz
here we go .. i've listed a few apps that i need you guys to read and post which and version that best fit my need.
- office suite [openoffice.org, thats wat im using .. its very good compare to dull ms office products but just wanna ur guys to post if thers more office appz out there that i might try]
- image editor [im artist .. sometimes i design a few logos for website, hockey teams, etc ( might going to enter comic book field btw ) currently using GIMP]
- c++ editor/compiler [i may be an artist BUT im still into programming ( im still newbie with it but i find it fun to learn and programme something ) IDE/GUI appz prefered for editor but i think i can might use gcc to compile .. /shrug]
- media player [i prefer a appz that can playback .avi, .mpeg, and others just like DivX
- 3d [learned a few things about 3dmax a few months ago at css for to design robot stuff but im still interesting in it.. i think Blender's the one ..]
- cd-r burner [i'd like to use a program that have almost same function similar to Nero 5/6 to burn cd-r for appz / media files ]
- internet browser [i guess mozilla's the one since i love using it on ms winxp box.
- download manager [sometimes [ rarely actually ] my dsl connection reset .. diling file from somewhere ceases and i lose url of http / ftp dl addy. so i'd like to use a program that can restore downloading]
- email client [ ;p i know kmail but i dont like it [ again, personal performance .. so theres any more email client out there?]
- irc chat [ xchat, thats wat i keep hearing from ppls but is it stable like mIRC?]
- instant msg [i'd like to use a instant msg program that can handle msn, or aol, icq, etc]
- applications that support gaming such as counter-strike [winex? or theres some sort of special code that i have to recompile on linux box to support cs ? i hope im wrong
Mod edit: leet talk replaced with proper words
- 03-04-2004 #2
1 ) Stick to OpenOffice, works perfectly, when using KDE try KOffice, also excelent.
2 ) GIMP
3 ) KDevelop
4 ) Xine(Video) / XMMS (MP3)
5 ) dunno
6 ) dunno, looking for one too, us cdrecord on command line now.
7 ) Browser: Mozilla or Firebird.
8 ) Download Manager: Don't use it. (Have Edonkey on one of my wintendos machines.)
9) Mailclient: Evolution
10 ) Don't use icr.
11 ) instant msg: Gaim
12 ) Emulators: Wine / WineX
[Could be, sometimes it's better to recompile them for your machine.]---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.
- 03-04-2004 #3
1 ) OpenOffice is the best in my mind
2 ) GIMP
3 ) KDevelop or jst use anytext editor and then compile using gcc/g++
4 ) Xine(Video) / XMMS (MP3) both great
5 ) no clue about 3d
6 ) K3B i have been having troubles with it on my laptop but i have heard it is the best
7 ) firebird or opera (i use opera)
8 ) not sure but i think you get one with mozilla but not sure
10 ) Xchat, *****x if you want command line one
11 ) Gaim
12 ) WineX is best for games i have heard
hope this helps
- 03-04-2004 #4
- Join Date
- Feb 2004