Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok, i just installed redhat linux 9, using a dual boot with windows xp. However, I have to chmod the files I restored from my windows computer (off a CD), ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Just installed linux. Need a little help with the shell.

Ok, i just installed redhat linux 9, using a dual boot with windows xp. However, I have to chmod the files I restored from my windows computer (off a CD), to 777 in order to write to them. Its a huge pain because I have hundreds of files I use. Is there a way to CHMOD all the file on my hard drive to 777 with a command in the terminal, or somthing?
    Thanks,
    Mark Watson

Linux Guru
    assuming youve copied all the files from CD to /home/markw/winbackup/ for example, you could execute:

Code:
    chmod 777 /home/markw/winbackup/ -R
    On a side not, Be careful never to make your whole harddisk world readable/writable (chmod 777 / -R), as this would present a security concern.

Jason

Just Joined!
    why would it would present a security concern? is it because ppl on the net could read and modify my files? if it is just localy or on the network then i don't realy care... I'll try the cammand

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    i did my whole home directory and now gnome doesn't work. I gess i learned the hard way . I will restore it anddo it the right way. Thnks for the help!