Find the answer to your Linux question:
ok well i jsut found this forum and i just got interested into linux but i really dont know anything yet all i know so far is that i get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Newbie just starting

ok well i jsut found this forum and i just got interested into linux but i really dont know anything yet all i know so far is that i get red hat (OS for newbies i heard) i found a website for it and im gonna dowload it and burn it to a CD then boot froom the cd and then reformat (im aware of the 2 partations) so im going to reformatt but what i need to know

1)if i want to download a file ex.aim and it had the option for me to download "windows" or "mac" format can i just pick which one i want download it and it will work

2)whats the difference between unix and linux?

3)wheres a good place to start

thanks

Linux Guru
    1. That depends very much on the file. Programs for Windows or Mac can't be run under Linux anyway (except using programs such as Wine, but that doesn't count). Usually, it will be the Windows versions that have been implemented, but that's not always the case.

2. The main difference is that all versions UNIX are based on the original 1969 UNICS code from the AT&T labs. Linux, on the other hand, is written completely from scratch. That also means that Linux is free from the intellectual property aspects of UNIX (or at least most people seem to think so - SCO disagrees, but only until the time some months from now when they will die =) ).

3. Well, that depends very much on what exactly you plan to do with the system. A good place to start generically would be http://fedora.redhat.com/ (in case you didn't know that RedHat now releases their new distros under the Fedora name - thus Fedora Core 1 is newer than RedHat 9). If you would mention some more specific interests, I'm sure there are a lot of people willing to hand at least three hands to you. =)

Good luck!

Another good place to start are the how to sections on this board and this link :
    Linux HQ
    and
    Linux.org

and ofcourse the fedora site and : www.fedora.us

Enjoy.
    ---[ MS09-99896 - Vulnerability in All MS Windows OS ; Using Windows Could Allow Remote Code Execution. ]---
    Hardware: Asus P4P800, 1GB, P4-3Ghz, Asus V9950, Maxtor ATA HD\'s, 3Com GBit lan, Audigy ZS Plat.