Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, I'm new to linux and I am trying to get my wireless card working. It is Dlink DWL 520 with realtek rtl8180 chipset. I got its source and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

driver compilation, was the compilation successful?

Hi everyone, I'm new to linux and I am trying to get my wireless card working. It is Dlink DWL 520 with realtek rtl8180 chipset. I got its source and I am now trying to compile and install it on Mankrake 9.2

Below is the output of 'make', please have a look at it and let me know if it got compiled correctly, because the driver is not working, so I can figureout if I didn't compile the driver correctly or there is some other problem.

[root@OAK rtl8180_1.5]# make
    gcc -O6 -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/ -DRTL_IO_MAP -DRTL_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DRTL_ACT_AS_STA -DRTL8180_DRV_ON_PC -DENABLE_DBG_PRINT -c -o r8180_pci_init.o r8180_pci_init.c
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/semaphore.h:39,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/fs.h:204,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/capability.h:17,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/sched.h:9,
    from r8180_pci_init.c:26:
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/system.h: In function `__set_64bit_var':
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/system.h:194: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/system.h:194: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
    In file included from r8180_pci_init.c:40:
    r8180_type.h:62:1: warning: "ENABLE_DBG_PRINT" redefined
    <command line>:11:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    gcc -O6 -Wall -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -DLINUX -I /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/ -DRTL_IO_MAP -DRTL_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DRTL_ACT_AS_STA -DRTL8180_DRV_ON_PC -DENABLE_DBG_PRINT -c -o r8180_if.o r8180_if.c
    In file included from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/semaphore.h:39,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/fs.h:204,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/capability.h:17,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/binfmts.h:5,
    from /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/linux/sched.h:9,
    from r8180_if.c:27:
    /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/asm/system.h: In function `__set_64bit_var':
    In file included from r8180_if.h:20,
    from r8180_if.c:43:
    r8180_type.h:62:1: warning: "ENABLE_DBG_PRINT" redefined
    <command line>:11:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    --- Generate open part open_part.o ---

--- Generate rtl8180 linux driver rtl8180_24x.o on 2.4.22-10mdk ---

Thank you all

Linux Guru
    It generally looks ok, there are a few compile warnings todo with the actual code, but i suspect that if others have been able to get this driver working then it should be ok.

You may want to submit the output of the make command, along with details of your system to the driver developer/maintainer, as idealy code should compile cleanly, especially code that will be running in the kernel.

Jason

when 'make' or 'make install' (which basically copies the compiled stuff to where it needs to live permenantly) have problems they end with either
    Code:
    error1
    or
    Code:
    error2
    messages.

Warning messages are just that, warnings. They are not errors.

So, by the looks of it, your make worked.

Did you read the README or INSTALL file that probably came with the package? Did it tell you to do a './configure' first or just a 'make' followed by 'make install' ?

have fun

Nerderello

Use Suse 10.1 and occasionally play with Kubuntu
    Also have Windows 98SE and BeOS

Just Joined!
    This is what readme file says about installation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    < Installation >
    Please try to load linux_24x.o first by "insmod -f rtl8180_24x.o".
    If it doesn't work, you are suggested to compile loadable driver module following the steps as:

(0)Make sure the C-compile version. Run "gcc -v".
    If gcc version is 2.xx, use release driver RTL8180_24x_RH73.zip.
    If gcc version is 3.xx, use release driver RTL8180_24x_RH90.zip.

(1)Modify macros in Makefile.
    KERNELRELEASE - represent kernel release version
    IO_FLAGS - pci I/O space mapping
    ENDIAN_FLAGS - big/little endian
    OP_MODE_FLAGS - Operation on either AP or Client mode
    DRV_FLAGS - Driver debugging messge ...etc.

(2)Check pci module initialization and system call interfaces in the provided source code,
    r8180_pci_init.c ....etc.

(3)Run 'make' to generate new driver module.

(4)Run 'make install' to install new driver module.

(5)Refer to < Set wireless lan MIBs > and modify script files,
    wlanup/wlandown, to set Wireless LAN specific parameters.
    Run wlanup/wlandown to activate/shut_down wireless lan.
    Usage:
    ./wlanup {ap|infra|adhoc}
    ./wlandown
    Note:
    - "./wlanup ap" works if OP_MODE_FLAGS is assigned RTL_ACT_AS_AP in Makefile.
    - "./wlanup {infra|adhoc}" works if OP_MODE_FLAGS is assigned RTL_ACT_AS_AP
    in Makefile.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I checked pci module initialization and system call interfaces as specified in step (2) and the macros discussed in step (1) are inserted as environment variables in the make file

e.g.
    #-----------------------------------------------
    #Specify kernel version and include path
    #-----------------------------------------------
    KERNELRELEASE=$(shell uname -r)
    INCLUDEPATH=-I /usr/src/linux-$(KERNELRELEASE)/include/
    INSTALLPATH=/lib/modules/$(KERNELRELEASE)/kernel/drivers/net/wireless

So I think I can leave them as variables. Though I varified if I have everything at these paths i.e. /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-10mdk/include/ etc.

I also read many thread about this driver and some managed to get the wireless card working and some got partial sucess and some didn't at all. So I think the code is not compatible with all the kernel versions.

Because as you both said the compilation looks ok. so I did make install
    then insmode. But I cannot see wlan0 in ifconfig. and whenever I do insmode to bring this driver up, my system won't shutdown properly. It hangs midway while shutting down and I have to press the switch to shut it down.

So I will try for a while if I get it working otherwise I will wait for them to update driver version.