Find the answer to your Linux question:
Just as a pre-caution i'm new to linux therefore do not know much about it. I downloaded Mandrake 9.2 and installed it ... works fine ... These are the three ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mandrake 9.2 question

Just as a pre-caution i'm new to linux therefore do not know much about it.

I downloaded Mandrake 9.2 and installed it ... works fine ...
    These are the three files that i downloaded Mandrake92-CD1-INST.i586.iso, Mandrake92-CD1-ext.i586.iso and Mandrake92-CD3-i18.i586.iso

Now i installed through CD1 and it all works, but have no idea what the other 2 cd are for ... and there is also MandrakeMove ... can someone explain me what these other files are for please...

I read somewhere briefly that these files include extra applications to be run with linux, if that's the case how go about installing them? all the files are .iso ... can i install it once linux is booted and running, or would i have to boot my comp from these cds and install it that way?

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if this has been asked before!

PS Mandrake 9.2 is looking good so far, i like it, i just have lots more to learn

Linux Guru

Re: Mandrake 9.2 question

Quote Originally Posted by Norbi
    Just as a pre-caution i'm new to linux therefore do not know much about it.

I downloaded Mandrake 9.2 and installed it ... works fine ...
    These are the three files that i downloaded Mandrake92-CD1-INST.i586.iso, Mandrake92-CD1-ext.i586.iso and Mandrake92-CD3-i18.i586.iso

Now i installed through CD1 and it all works, but have no idea what the other 2 cd are for ... and there is also MandrakeMove ... can someone explain me what these other files are for please...

I read somewhere briefly that these files include extra applications to be run with linux, if that's the case how go about installing them? all the files are .iso ... can i install it once linux is booted and running, or would i have to boot my comp from these cds and install it that way?

Any help would be appreciated, and sorry if this has been asked before!

PS Mandrake 9.2 is looking good so far, i like it, i just have lots more to learn
    Looking at the name of the iso files, i would guess that cd number 2 contains extra applications, and CD 3 is related to internationalisation, eg, language support stuff amongst other things. Never having used mandrake, that is only a guess.

.iso files are CD images, that you burn to a CD (as an image, not as a file).

I dont know anything about installing software under mandrake, i would guess they have an extra bit of software to install their packages, where this is i have no idea, someone else may be able to give details on that.

Jason

cd 1 is the installation cd, "the crucial one".

the second one contains extra packages, those "non-crucial but very nice" ones ...

the third one contains some packages and some internationalization stuff, useful for non-english people like me (im from sweden, but i still prefer having my system english speaking )

i dont know where they crammed in MandrakeMove on those cds but its practically a smaller version of mandrake that you can run directly from the cd

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the replies...

Yeah i kinda figured MandrakeMove is something along those lines ... but anyways, been using Linux for a few days now and i like it a lot ... have no problems with it so far (lets hope it stays that way)...

One problem though which is kinda hard to explain, and i'm pretty sure the solution for it isn't as easy as well ... so here i go trying to explain what's going on...

When i run Linux it loads up no problem ... but my screen flickers all the time, there are these lines that go through it , they seem to be moving up and down, and this happens especially when i put load onto the cpu ... lets say for instance i wanna run an application, when i start to load the app, more of those lines start to show and just move slowly up and then down...

Just for your information this is on my oldest computer ... It's a Intel Celeron 266, with 64 megs of ram, and an S4 Virge 4meg video card...yeah i know it's old =) ... i'm about to go out and get another "better" but used computer right now...

Thank you and i hope you understood what i was trying to explain!

Just Joined!
    About installing software in Mandrake. You should look for something called the "Mandrake Control Center." It should be in your Gnome or KDE menu (I don't know which one you use) and if you can't find it, open a terminal window and type "drakconf". Once there, go to Software Management, and Install Software. Once you choose what you want, it'll ask you to enter the other CDs.

About the lines, it sounds like either the refresh rate isn't cool with your monitor, your monitor is old, or your computer just... is old. Those are all guesses by the way. If it's still happening with your new computer, ask again.

Just Joined!
    Ok, so just got back from my local computer store...

Found a used IBM IntelliStation MPro Pentium 3 800mhz computer, bought it, though it would be a good machine to run a server off of ...

Installed Mandrake 9.2, run perfectly...the issues i had with the older computer that i mentioned are gone, i'm still using the same monitor, so i guess it had to do something with the video card ... that computer was just a piece of (use your imagination)...

But anyways, everything seems to be fine, thanx for all the help, now i gotta get back and keep on learning this thing....

If i need help i know where to go =) ...

Thank you!

Just Joined!
    Hmmm...

I'm trying to install Apache 1.3.28 and i'm having a bit of difficulties...
    I put CD2 of the Mandrake installation in, clicked on folder Mandrake, then RPMS2 and gave me all the packages available...

Now when i click on Apache1.3.28-3mdk.i586.rpm a box comes up and says "Everything already installed"

Where is this installed??? I can't find it anywhere, i'm guessing anything u install goes into applications, the way when u install something in Windows, u click start and then programms and there it is ... but i can't find this app anywhere... what am i missing here??

Thank you