Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
HI..., I m using a P III with 64 mb ram ..and hav 8 GB harddisk with 4mb Agp card.i hav installed Redhat 9.0 with GUI (GNOME).The Start up is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

LINUX STARTUP IS SO SLOW?

HI...,
    I m using a P III with 64 mb ram ..and hav 8 GB harddisk with 4mb Agp card.i hav installed Redhat 9.0 with GUI (GNOME).The Start up is so slow.its taking a lot of time to start.and even after it started the programs are slagging to run in my system..why is it..?
    Freakrz

64Mb and RH9+Gnome = slow.
    What's with the caps?
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Just Joined!
    I would upgrade your RAM if you want it to be faster .

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    It's defintely the RAM. I'd also suggest that you turn off kudzu (which I believe is by default in RH9). The RAM should be upgraded to no less than 256MB in my opinion.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!

Overclocking Processor ...?

Thanx..dude.. i ll definitely upgrade the ram to 256 MB..would it be faster if the tweak the processor a little ..by overclocking..now would that increase my speed...how do i configure the start up in linux..like in window we can just edit the startup by configuring "msconfig".should i check the "services" option for that?Is there some kind of tool where i can have a selective start up..can u tell me which services are not necessary in the start up.coz i m not connected to any network kinda stuff..i use it just for programming purpose..
    Freakrz

Linux User

startup speeds

watch the montir when you're booting and see if anythings taking ages to become active or is failing.

the easiest option is never to turn it off.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Linux User
    This is from RedHat http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...ase-notes/x86/

Memory:

- Minimum for text-mode: 64MB

- Minimum for graphical: 128MB

- Recommended for graphical: 192MB
    I think there is a common misconception in what it takes to run Linux. You always hear about people using old machines to run web servers and such, but what you donít really hear is that itís without a GUI. Most, if not all of the GUIís a memory hogs, just like Windows, and they will take some resources to run at an acceptable level.

Your machine would make a nice router, firewall, small web server, etc, but as it is itís never going to run a GUI very well.

Gnome is less off a resorse hog then KDE but i would not run any kind of WM like them with less then 256Mb RAMmtry iceWM or Fluxbox it would just be frustrating to use Gnome or KDE. And yes you can run servers that dont get much access on a 486 my firewall is all it has to do is manage the que, check the packets and log.

Linux Newbie

Re: Overclocking Processor ...?

Quote Originally Posted by freakrz
    Thanx..dude.. i ll definitely upgrade the ram to 256 MB..would it be faster if the tweak the processor a little ..by overclocking..now would that increase my speed...how do i configure the start up in linux..like in window we can just edit the startup by configuring "msconfig".should i check the "services" option for that?Is there some kind of tool where i can have a selective start up..can u tell me which services are not necessary in the start up.coz i m not connected to any network kinda stuff..i use it just for programming purpose..
    Freakrz
    Overclocking wont help a bit in your case.
    try "ntsysv --level 5" for you as msconfig in win
    You are the one Linux!

Linux Newbie
    I absolutely agree that your main problem is RAM. Forget about overclocking.it does not work as you think..
    I use Slackware 9.1 with KDE 3.1 and my conf. is

PII 350 and
    160 MB RAM
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast