Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
I have a few questions about linux. After being frustrated with windows many times, I wanted to explore my options and try out linux. But I had a few questions ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

A few questions

I have a few questions about linux. After being frustrated with windows many times, I wanted to explore my options and try out linux. But I had a few questions about linux. Thanks in advace for helping a n00b out (yes i admit it)
    My first and the most importantqestion is can I get windows back if I don't like linux?
    Can I use photoshop with linux?
    And I'm wondering if i can play windows based games on it? Or do I have to buy the game in a linux version or something?
    I have the cd's burnt, and started to install but these questions kept bugging me so i thought i'd ask you guys. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by trav4
    My first and the most importantqestion is can I get windows back if I don't like linux?
    Yes. Why not? GNU/Linux has not any monopoly.

Can I use photoshop with linux?
    I think no. You've excelent equivalents called The GIMP and Inkscape.

And I'm wondering if i can play windows based games on it? Or do I have to buy the game in a linux version or something?
    Look for Cedega and Winex.
    "Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz

Just Joined!
    Why not just use both? You can choose which one to boot into on startup. I would imagine using an emulator to play Windows games in Linux would give you a performance drop whilst playing modern games.

Some games are available free on Linux, you need a legit key to install them though.

Hi trav4 !!

you should go for Dual Boot.. GIMP is not equvalent to Phostshop but you can do a lot of similar stuff.... for games, there is wine or cedega but these have some flaws too.....

check these links .....

Linux is NOT MicroSoft .. Explained...
    Linux and Windows Equivalents !

<=== { casper } ===>
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroteq
    Why not just use both? You can choose which one to boot into on startup. I would imagine using an emulator to play Windows games in Linux would give you a performance drop whilst playing modern games.
    Wow, you can do that? I didn't know that, I thought that there was like no going back! Thanks for all the replys! I think I'll try linux. I just found out about gimp a little while ago, I like photoshop better, but for everyday work it's pretty awesome. If I install linux, will it erase my windows side like files and stuff? Thanks for all the help! Oh, and does anybody know of an emulator that let's you install aim on linux?
    I don't want to seem like a noob and annoy you guys, so do you think i'm sounding like a noob that thinks that linux should be like windows?

Quote Originally Posted by devils_casper
    GIMP is not equvalent to Phostshop but you can do a lot of similar stuff....
    I didn't know that. I'm not a designer...

If I install linux, will it erase my windows side like files and stuff?
    No. Moreover, you can mount NTFS/FAT32 partitions and write in them.

and does anybody know of an emulator that let's you install aim on linux?
    AIM? There are a lot of IM clients that support MSN, Yahoo!, AIM, ICQ & Jabber: Gaim, Kopete, aMSN.
    "Don't think about the work, think about the benefit"

Leonardo Juszkiewicz

Just Joined!
    Wow, that sounds awesome, I think i'm going to install, next time you hear from me, i'll be in linux! Unless somein goes horribly wrong....... Oh, sorry to bother you, but one last question. I have the SuSe disc's burnt, and i wanted to know, what do you guys think, should i go KDE or Gnome?

you can have them both installed on your computer...when wanting to use frst or second one just open session menu in login screen and select in witch "desktop" would you like to "log in"

gnome and kde are not only two desktops...you can find lot of other desktops and download them from the internet

ps:dual boot isnt a maximum...i have 7 OS on one machine

Oh, sorry to bother you, but one last question. I have the SuSe disc's burnt, and i wanted to know, what do you guys think, should i go KDE or Gnome?
    This is a very common question, and there is no definitive answer. Think of it like this: if I asked you, "Which flavor of ice cream will I like the best, vanilla or chocolate?" There's no way for you to possibly answer that because you're not me. You aren't inside my head. Perhaps somewhere in the back of my mind I have this aversion to cocoa beans, but you wouldn't know that. It's up to the individual person. My advice is try both and see which one strikes you. Perhaps neither one will, and you'll end up trying something else (such as Xfce, WindowMaker, Fluxbox, Enlightenment or IceWM).
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Yeah, makes sense, i'll try both, thanks for all your help!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast