Find the answer to your Linux question:
So, over the past few weeks I've d/l'd three tar.gz's and after ./configure they all complained I don't have a C compliler. This seems silly. I went back to my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Silly C Compiler Question

So, over the past few weeks I've d/l'd three tar.gz's and after ./configure they all complained I don't have a C compliler. This seems silly. I went back to my mandrake (9.2) cd's and did an add software search for gcc, then cc and nothing came up (which should mean that neither gcc nor cc comes with mandrake, or they are already installed). I did a search of my HD for `gcc' and then closest return was a folder: usr/lib/lib-gcc/

I can hardly imagine mandrake not coming with a c compiler, so I'm ready to throw that idea out. I wonder if usr/lib/lib-gcc/ is a non-standard directory, or whether the lib-gcc is only the library and I need the gcc compiler.

I admit I didn't try to mess with this too much before posting here, so flame on if I missed something obvious, but has any else ran into this with mandrake 9.2?

What happens if you run gcc --version ??

Code:
    darlbot]$ gcc --version
    bash: gcc: command not found
    amazing.

taking a second closer look there is no gcc on my install cd. I suppose I'll go look for it to d/l, but isn't it crazy not to include a c compiler with a linux distro?
    A search of uninstalled software for the word `compile' or `compiler' in the package description turned up java.
    A search of installed software for `compile' or `compiler' turned up gcc2.96-cpp, with a description as:
    The C preprocessor is a 'macro processor' which is used automatically by the C compiler to transform your program before actual compilation. It is called a macro processor because it allows you to define 'macros,' which are abbreviations for longer constructs.
    This seems mysterious to me.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Can you do a "urpmi gcc"?

It should be located at your distro CD, under the development tools, or I'll start to wounder if the people at Mandrake are sane.

Good luck

Have a look for just GCC i have never compiled it before without a working compiler it must come with one.

Doing full alphabetical list of installed software, there is no gcc-3.3.1-2, as well, doing a search of the available software (that is yet to be installed) on the 9.2 cd's, there is also no gcc. Still on the mandrake website they list gcc-3.3.1-2mdk.i586.rpm as an available package.
    Full List

I think perhaps I might have to d/l it...?

To be clear of done searches of: gcc; cc; compile; compiler; in both `title' and `description' for both installed and not yet installed packages.

I suppose I can only assume I have to register and d/l gcc....

!?

Anyone else here use Mandrake 9.2 and had experience with this?

edit: Now I'm thinking this may be part of a larger mistake, for some reason I cannot run the `locate' command. I seem to remember doing it right after installation, but I might be thinking of my previous OS. Just as a note, I have not deleted anything, at all. And I don't remember any conflicting resources during installation. Basically I've only installed & updated.

Well, this needs to be finalised by someone who knows this terminology (a quick google didn't give me a definition), but it appears Mandrake 9.2 Discovery, in fact, doesn't come with gcc || cc.

The list of packages here is for the download edition, which I assumed was the same as the purchased discovery edition. I was wrong, in fact, if you pay to support mandrake they give you a castrated version without development tools (this is where is need clarification: developments tools == gcc and/or cc). I might sound angry, but, in fact, I'm just bitter. I might be able to register my copy of mandrake and receive one free month of .rpm d/l's, which might give me gcc, but required registration reeks of microsoft (at least, to me).

So, sorry for this inconvenience, I would've never guessed any linux distro didn't come with gcc.

Linux Guru
    You're not the only one. I can't possibly imagine that Mdk would actually come without GCC. That's just absurd! However, I can't deny that which you have discovered. Yet another reason for me to stay away from Mandrake. =)

However, can't you just download the gcc RPM for another Mandrake version or another distro and install it?

download the gcc RPM for another Mandrake version or another distro and install it
    rpmfind.net
    Good advice! done & done. It was quick and easy (2 .rpm d/l).
    Thanks a lot for the help guys. I was sweating bullets thinking I might not be able to get gcc.