Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I try to use the shutdown command in a terminal it doesnt work. I searched for all files named shutdown and found one is /sbin/ but when I try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

shutdown command doesnt work !?!

When I try to use the shutdown command in a terminal it doesnt work. I searched for all files named shutdown and found one is /sbin/ but when I try to run that by double clicking on it, it says "Cannot find shutdown" or something like that. What is the problem here?

Try poweroff.
    Me & Myself just ganged up on I....... Now We all have problems..and none of Us are speaking!
    bash-3.00$ uname -a
    SunOS sparky 5.11 OpenSolaris-swa sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-Enterprise

Linux User
    You need to run this command from a terminal (command line) not through a file manager (not just clicking on it, it takes some additional input to work correctly), and probably as root . You can give other users the privilage of reboot, but if you haven't done that use root. Open a terminal, then type "su -" and give the password for root. Then type "shutdown -h now" to have the system shutdown to the point that you can hit the power button (h = halt) to turn it off (it might do this on it's own, but it might not), or type "shutdown -r now" to reboot the system (r = reboot). If there are other users change the "now" in the statement to a "t" directly behind either the "h" or the "r" and give how many seconds to wait, as in "-ht 60" for a 1 minute wait. There will be a notice pop up on the other users terminal telling them that the system is going down in 60 sec (or what ever) giving them a chance to save.

Google is your friend

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the help. I was a little worried because I thought shutdown was supposed to work for all users. I didn't realize that when I was using it before I was under root. poweroff works great.

Linux User
    Yea, depending on what distro of Linux you are using some stuff might just be a little different. Under RedHat/Fedora you need root privilege to issue shutdown.