Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey guys, I am starting to dabble in Linux these days and finally installed linux on 2 of my boxes (2 windows game machines, and 2 linux machines). I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mounting Drives automatically and as normal user?

Hey guys, I am starting to dabble in Linux these days and finally installed linux on 2 of my boxes (2 windows game machines, and 2 linux machines). I have been using it for about a month, and really liking it. The problem I have is this:

I mount a SMB drive like this:

mount -t smbfs //192.168.1.3/shared /mainshare -o username=xxx, password=xxx

It works fine, but I have two issues:

1) How can I mount this every time Linux starts?

and

2) When working in the drive, if I am root, I can create, delete, modify etc all the files in the drive, however, when I am a normal user, I cannot. How can I give the normal user the same rights on that folder as root?

Any and all help is appreciated.

1. To start it at boot time, you can add it to your /etc/fstab file.

2. If it's a shared folder, u will have to make sure that the computer the share's on has write privileges to that share, and then when shared, should allow u to write to it.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Well I know its not a problem with the remote machine because when I try as root (on my local machine), I can create/edit fine, but when I mount the drive as root, but then try to edit the files as non-root, it doesnt work.

I tried chmod +777 /mainshare as root, but it wouldnt let me do that on remote folders.

I am not too sure about mounting drives as a user, i haven't really had a lot of experience with samba shares recently, so can't remember too well....

Why do u need to mount it as a user? If you mount it as root, can u write to it as a user?
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Nope, thats the problem I am having

WHen I mount as root, I can write/read to it, but when I 'exit' out of su mode, I lose that capability to write.

Sorry if I wasn't clear on the original question.

Code:
     //192.168.0.1/home /mnt/home smbfs workgroup=MY_WORKGROUP,username=my_username,password=my_password,user 0 0