Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi... I'v been using Mandrake 9.2 with the KDE GUI for about a week or so ... I tried to install and application called E-Cpu and it said Enlightement environment ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

What did just happen?

Hi...

I'v been using Mandrake 9.2 with the KDE GUI for about a week or so ... I tried to install and application called E-Cpu and it said Enlightement environment not set up ... so i looked through my packages that come with the cd2 installation and found a package for Enlightement so i installed it...

Now everything just changed ... my icons don't look the same, when i go and click on applications it doesn't show the same programs that i used to have ... if i go to the desktop and click on lets say cd-rom, nothing happens ... anybody know what i did??

I read about it briefly somewhere that this is a Window Manager? can someone explain this to me?

Thank you!

Linux Newbie
    Umm ... Enlightenment is a completely different desktop all together then KDE, that is why everything looks different.

A window manager is really just something if you are running the X GUI. Each one has a different feel and look. Some are basic and very minimal in feel like fluxbox or any *box for that matter. And some are "bloated" like Gnome and KDE. Enlightenment has always been known to be a very nice looking desktop, but a little difficult to get a handle on at first.

Hopefully that clears up some stuff ... if not then I apologize ahead of time.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Just Joined!

Unrelated

Hey QuickDraw,

Just curious, you didn't used to be a Macintosh programmer did you? Is that where the QuickDraw comes from?