Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi. I'm a hard-core, "power-user", gamer, IT computer dude. I specalize in purchasing and hardware in particular. I have yet to install any of the linux distros but my hard-core ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Distro for a 233MHz, 128MB system? Recommendations please.

Hi. I'm a hard-core, "power-user", gamer, IT computer dude. I specalize in purchasing and hardware in particular.

I have yet to install any of the linux distros but my hard-core Linux college peers and IT co-workers have given me some advise. I plan in install SuSE 9 on my AMD 900MHz, 512MB rig as soon as I get a bigger HD (on a WD 20GB currently lol). I've already checked out Knoppix's 'boot from CD' so I'm somewhat familiar with KDE (Knoppix is KDE, right?).

I'ld like to play around with a distro on a AMD 233MHz, 128MB 72pin dimm, 1024x768x16 ATI Mach64 1MB, 2GB HD system that I would eventually like to setup as a ftp server. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

DrCR
    usally on the www.lo-mac.com forums

Linux Newbie
    Hehe ... no KDE is not Knoppix. KDE is a desktop manager for the X windows system. Which will help you understand that if you wanted you could possibly install a very minimal linux installation without X or much of the pretty stuff that isn't too needed. If you have broadband check out Gentoo. But since you are kind of new to Linux I would go with either Mandrake or Redhat. Those two are mainly the best for new users ... especially Mandrake.
    Quickdraw returns ... more news at 11!

I like to try all flavors of the rainbow. Running SuSE 10.1 on my laptop, Windows XP on my desktop, and an Mac OS X on my Mac powerbook.

Linux Newbie
    hmm:

If you use it as a firewall or just a small samba server or something then you use Trustix.

Trustix Secure Linux

If you want something more then use Debian.

Debian 3.0 r2
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    With those specs go Debian Woody. Or even Mandrake 8.2
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly

Just Joined!
    You shouldnt have any problem running IceWM or a light window manager. I wouldnt try KDE or Gnome though, it will just be slow and annoying.

128mb ram isnt bad for gnome or kde, and ive done it before on similar systems, but the performance isnt anything to get excited about. You will be much happier with Debian/Slackware running IceWM.

I wouldnt recommend a distro like RH or Mandrake, who are a bit more bloated with default* install.

* Its really possible for you to make any distro as light or as demanding as you want, but if you are new and dont have the system for it, you might want to start with a distro that comes out light out of the box by default. Even though RH/Mandrake are easier to use, for your system I think the extra time it may take for debian to be configured properly is worth it, especially if you are going to use it for a server later.

Linux Newbie
    The problem only is that Mandrake,Redhat or SuSE or to big. The requirements of these installations are not like Debian or Trustix.
    Computers Are Like Air Conditioners... They\'re both useless with Windows open!

Linux Engineer
    You can install almost any distro but because you have those specs, you should run a disto that installs the bare minimum. Debian usually does a good job with that. Exactly what do you plan to use this machine for? With those specs, I'd probably not even install X. These days, I'm getting very used to not having X around. The only bad thing about that is Web surfing and viewing media files.
    The best things in life are free.

Just Joined!
    I disagree. I run X on a system worse than that. You just have to use icewm, and firefox, xine, etc works fine.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by mshah2k
    I disagree. I run X on a system worse than that. You just have to use icewm, and firefox, xine, etc works fine.

icewm, firefox those are two I haven't heard of before.

DrCR

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickDraw
    Hehe ... no KDE is not Knoppix.

Right, I know. I mean as opposed to Genome.

Oh, but the way, did anyone else see that eweek article on KDE3.2? Good article I thought. I'll see if I can find a link.

DrCR

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast