Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am using the book "The Complete Reference, Linux, 3rd edn" which includes a CD of Red Hat Linux 6.0, and I am starting to install it. I have a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Problem with making partitions

I am using the book "The Complete Reference, Linux, 3rd edn" which includes a CD of Red Hat Linux 6.0, and I am starting to install it. I have a 10 Gb partition containing Windows XP, a 4Gb partition doing nothing, and a further 4 Gb free space.

I am installing as shown in the book, using Disk Druid. I create a swap partition of 128 Mb -- OK. I then try to create a partition with mount point / . It refuses to create it, saying: Boot sector is too big. This happens even if I ask for only 1 Mb. I then tried using the mount point /boot. Same result. I can create a partition with /usr with no problem.

This subject does not seem to be mentioned anywhere. Can anyone help, please?

Linux Guru
    I would recommend you try a later version of redhat if possible, as lots of bugs have been fixed, and documentation will be more available.

A good mirror for the UK that i use is mirror.ac.uk. Redhat 9 is available for download here:
    http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ftp.re...9/en/iso/i386/

Sorry i cannot help further with your specific error message

Jason

Linux Engineer
    Yeah redhat 6 is INCREDABLY old.. you would be much betteroff getting a recent version like jasonlamber says

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks folks. I suppose this is the fault of buying a book that has been published for some years. The book seems very good, and I thought I could at least start with less hassle.

I tried the same install on an older computer and it did not produce the same fault. I wonder if the problem is because the first computer I tried is 'too modern' for the software, eg by having a much larger disk capacity than was normal 4 years ago. (I thought by changing to Linux from Windows I would avoid this 'out of date' problem ).

So this involves one more layer of learning, which is not covered in the book. I presume I go into Windows and download the relevant package into a Windows file system. Then what do I do next? Will there be documentation within that package that will take me through the initial steps? Presumably it will first tell me how to make a boot floppy. Will the installation procedure be able to read from files on a Windows partition?

Jason: The site you mentioned above shows a list of files. I presume I need all of them?

Peter.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrail
    Jason: The site you mentioned above shows a list of files. I presume I need all of them?

Peter.
    I think just first three one is enough for installation. The other 3 is sources.
    Just a Newbie....Looking 4 Info....

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by uktrail
    So this involves one more layer of learning, which is not covered in the book. I presume I go into Windows and download the relevant package into a Windows file system. Then what do I do next? Will there be documentation within that package that will take me through the initial steps? Presumably it will first tell me how to make a boot floppy. Will the installation procedure be able to read from files on a Windows partition?
    One step at a time.

Once downloaded, you will need to burn the .iso files to CD, using 1 CD per .iso file. If you have "nero" installed, search the forums as i have covered this a few times.

Once burned to CD, restart the PC with the CD in the drive, and the redhat install wizard should start.

I recommend having a look at the redhat documentation available here before proceeding:
    https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/

Jason

Just Joined!
    Thanks. The dealer installed Nero, but I have never used it yet. I will now have to reinstall Nero since I formatted the hard disk because of Windows problems. Another stage of learning.

I'll work a bit with my Linux 6 which I installed successfully, albeit with monitor resolution problems and substantial internet difficulties, on my older computer. Meanwhile, I much appreciate your help.