Find the answer to your Linux question:
Im planning on installing Gentoo to my system but im not sure which release to install. I have: x86 Athlon-XP x86 AMD64 x86 Universal Im running a SOYO MB with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gentoo Question

Im planning on installing Gentoo to my system but im not sure which release to install. I have:

x86 Athlon-XP
    x86 AMD64
    x86 Universal

Im running a SOYO MB with an Athlon XP 1800+ so i was assuming I should use Athlon-XP, am i correct?

Yes you are.

GIRO!!

Well, I've been giving serious consideration to gentoo for the last little while. I find it very enticing, but I am very nervous about the level of sophistication required to do a stage 1 install. I mean, a stage 3 gentoo install gives me enough reason to switch, even only for `]# emerge'. I've read through the `gentoo installation manual', and, at least with the manual on hand, doesn't seem like an install would be too much rocket science..... (?)

I've read a ton of reviews, but I'd like to hear about your experiences (regarding installation, running, or anything you would like to pass on).

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Like everyone else, Like another member said it is actually a good distro for beginners with emerge, rc-update and such. If you follow the install docs you should be ok. The main problem is people skip a section then wonder why there system isnt working. When i first installed Gentoo (Ok i had been using Linux for quite a while) i did it first time like i have said before Gentoo's install docs are IMO the best i have seen for any distro!!

Linux Engineer
    I've just got some gentoo disks and when I get me new hard drive next month I shall be installing the beast.
    Lansbury's Lido

thekiadriver on #linuxforums - fleetingly