Find the answer to your Linux question:
I am currently running MS SBS 2003 and want to move to a complete Linux backend. As a newbie, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have installed Linux ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Talking Moving to Linux Backend

I am currently running MS SBS 2003 and want to move to a complete Linux backend. As a newbie, I have no idea what I'm doing. I have installed Linux (CentOS) and have configured a few things. My first victory was building an Asterisk PBX.

With that said, I need to basically duplicate a Domain Controller, DNS, Print, File, etc. I have the oportunity to do this on several machines (VMWare). I want my file server to be seperate from the DC, and the email to be seperate server, well you get the idea.

What is the best way to go about this?

Razr (a newly converted Linux fan)

Most distros can do all that without problems. But some are a bit hard to configure
    Put your hand in an oven for a minute and it will be like an hour, sit beside a beautiful woman for an hour and it will be like a minute, that is relativity. --Albert Einstein
    Linux User #425940

Don't PM me with questions, instead post in the forums

Well I have Fedora Directory Server running on my CentOS server handling my Windows Domain.

If you want to separate your services out, then you could put your DNS, Print, File, web, SSH, email and everything else on a different machine, and provide the domain services using samba and either FDS or some other LDAP back end for the authentication.

Most of these are easy, but some are complex tasks. But if you set up an Asterisk VOIP system, then you probably wont find any problems with any of these.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    So I need an LDAP server and a Samba server to emulate a windows domain structure?

My clients just need to connect, in other words, I don't want themn knowing that I have moved from Windows? I do realize that they will know when I do the switchover, although I want it to be just like a windows backend.

As far as the other applications (DNS, DHCP, etc) that I get.

Thanks,

Razr

It's possible to be PDC with Samba and not use LDAP; but either way it's not simple. You'll probably have to ask the users to enter their password at the domain controller - whether you set that up to come through from windows or have them do it at a Linux terminal is up to you.

There are plenty of PDC+Samba how-to's out there in Googleland. Here's a mini howto, here's the Gentoo howto from their wiki which should be re-usable in most distros, and here's how to do it with LDAP.

Take a look through those, and dont be afraid to go find other howtos if these aren't helping you at all.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/