Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay, I'm a n00b at Linux, so please be nice to me. I have a minor problem with GRUB bootloader (actually more like an annoyance), I want to change the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

How do I change boot order in GRUB?

Okay, I'm a n00b at Linux, so please be nice to me. I have a minor problem with GRUB bootloader (actually more like an annoyance), I want to change the order of the OSes from Linux being on top to DOS first (actually it's Windows, GRUB just labeled it DOS).

I'm triple booting Win98se, Win2k, and Redhat 9, 98 is in the primary FAT32 partition, 2k is in an extended FAT32, and Redhat is in a partition after 2k, and it's using GRUB bootloader to load itself, and of course chainload to the bootmenu for 2k and 98.

So, basically I want it to boot over to the bootmenu for 2k and 98 and not go into Linux, I don't want to have to manually select to go to the DOS bootmenu everytime I start my PC. I know this has something to do with editing the menu.lst file, but like I said, I'm a huge newbie, and I need a walkthrough on this, so if anyone can help I will definitely appreciate it.

Linux User

boot order

open a terminal and change to root with the su command
    then cd /boot/grub

now you need to edit your grub.conf file - If you're using a GUI then just type
    gedit grub.conf

Code:
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core [kernel: 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl]
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
    	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl.img
    title Fedora Core [kernel: 2.4.22-1.2166.nptl]
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
    	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2166.nptl.img
    title Fedora Core [kernel: 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl]
    	root (hd0,0)
    	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb
    	initrd /initrd-2.4.22-1.2115.nptl.img
    You'll have a lot of crap like mine shown above. I have three entries for different linux kernels you'll have one for linux and one for dos (i imagine). each entry starts with the word title. they are referred to be number starting at 0 so 0, 1, 2- in my case.

Change the line
    default=0

to refer to the correct number. and lower the timeout value to 3 or something.
    save and quit your text editor and your done. good luck!
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

Just Joined!
    Alright, that was a snap to fix, I changed it from default=0 to default=1, I rebooted and now it has the cursor by DOS instead of Linux.

Thanks kpzani.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thank you for this post. I am a new to linux.

Sorry for the bump after so long...

GRUB Boot

Hey, this was useful info for me too. I'm also new to this, and just installed Fedora Core 6 on a desktop. My problem now is trying to get a Wi Fi Adapter to install and work. I don't have any access other than WiFi, so the built in LAN stuff won't do the trick...

LOL! I just thought it was funny that Ironman is shown to have "just joined" when the date of his thread is March 20th of 2004....
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    Thank you for the link to Dominic Humphries' Linux is NOT Windows. I am a new Kubuntu user and it was just what I needed to see. I'm bookmarking the site for future use. Surprised and delighted to see that I have a Linux neighbor here in SC.

Quote Originally Posted by derthorn
    Surprised and delighted to see that I have a Linux neighbor here in SC.
    Hi derthorn and welcome to the forums.

I've seen a few SC Linux users come through Linuxforums over the last two years I've been here. As it turned out, one lived a mere twelve miles from me! I'm running into more Linux users here in the upstate too. In my small town of six thousand, there are at least seven I know of besides me. Hmm... We could create our own state distro... "Palmetto Linux."

If you need any help just whistle...
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    [QUOTE=Ironman]Okay, I'm a n00b at Linux, so please be nice to me. I have a minor problem with GRUB bootloader (actually more like an annoyance), I want to change the order of the OSes from Linux being on top to DOS first (actually it's Windows, GRUB just labeled it DOS).

Hi Ironman

If you are using SuSe and are running the GUI go to the YaST Control Center (Computer/Administrator Settings), select System then Boot Loader. You will be presented with Boot Loader screen where you can set the boot order.

Cheers

^^^ Why did you bump a near 3 year old post? For the love of God why?
    'Tis better to be silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.'
    --Abraham Lincoln