Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by zidane okies.... make sure that before partitioning your drive, you delete the existing linux partitions. basicly, your best bet is to boot from your cd or a ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Re: it cant? beat it with a stick ;)

Quote Originally Posted by zidane
    okies....

make sure that before partitioning your drive, you delete the existing linux partitions.

basicly, your best bet is to boot from your cd or a wind98 bootdiskfloppy, and use fdisk to remove everything on your hdd. take your time, im not sure how many partitions you have, but my redhat install has three partitions. all three will need to be removed.

once you have removed everything on your drive, then choose to make a new primary dos partition, and just make it as big as your drive. once done, reboot, format and then you can install windows just fine.

if you want more detailed instructions, give us a shout, and it would be helpfull to know what fdisk says when it tells you it can partition the drive for you, the exact error message will probably explain the problem and provide an answer.

out of interest, is it just one game you want to play? and have you tried wine or something similar?
    Ok i ran fdisk and when i go into delete my partions it comes up just blank nothing is in there and then it freezes and i can't go back into the main menu. so i have to restart i don't get it.

Just Joined!

it shouldnt do that!

okies.... if fdisk is crashing badly, and locking up your pc, my first suggestion would to go get a good win98se bootdisk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/ other than that, have you given it a minute? it may just be slow as hell whilst it tries to figure out your partitions

Just Joined!

Re: it shouldnt do that!

Quote Originally Posted by zidane
    okies.... if fdisk is crashing badly, and locking up your pc, my first suggestion would to go get a good win98se bootdisk from here: http://www.bootdisk.com/ other than that, have you given it a minute? it may just be slow as hell whilst it tries to figure out your partitions

Ya i let it sit for some time i have like four boot disk should i try them all.

Just Joined!

i would

if one bootdisk is crashing continously, i would use another. it may just be a dodgy disk,

Just Joined!
    i hope so. i'll try it and get back to ya.

Just Joined!

okies

okies, if worst comes to worst, try downloading the bootdisk from the site, i know its good, ive used it myself before now. hopefully, its just a dodgy startup disk and it will all go perfectly

Just Joined!
    ya i downloaded the disk so im going to try that out thanks for the help i hope it works and i'll get back to u and tell ya how it went.

Just Joined!

Possible Answer

Insert your Linux CD and reboot the PC. When it gets to the point of partitioning the drives delete the partitions. Remove the Linux CD and put in your Windows 98 Boot disk. Then Reboot the PC.

If you get a DOS command prompt type FDSIK /MBR

Insert your Win98 CD remove the floppy and reboot the PC.

This is generally Linux OS specific, but hopefully it should work.

Armage

Just Joined!

you could always

just put in a winXP cd off someone 'surely u know someone who has it' and when it comes up to the install menu, it will show you the linux partitions, delete all 3 of them and the next screen is create a new partition which wilil format the drive etc. Don't select quick format, just do it normally and everything will be fine. Then when it begins copying files, put in a boot disk or use win98 se edition, and format the new drive.

Linux Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    insert the windows install cd and go to a command prompt. from there type fdisk and deleet all the "unknown" partitions and create one big dos partition. reboot and install windows from the CD.

I am sorry you linux expereance has not been good!

Edit: what games do you wantto play specificaly? many modern games are allso avaailable for linux nativly (not under an emulater) such games include Neverwinternights,RTCW,SOF2,Simcity,Quake2,3,UT200 3,UT2004,UT and Doom3 (when it comes out) There are more too but thats all I can think of at the momment!
    have you ever had trouble with the "partitions exist but they don't exist" problem? this stops fdisk from deleting linux partitions. if i were you i would use aefdisk, harder to use but very powerful.
    Cry out for freedom! Cry out for Linux!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2