Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ok I have a pretty big problem. I installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my computer, but i didn't do a dulle boot so its just linux runing on my ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I Have A Really Big Problem!!!!!!

Ok I have a pretty big problem. I installed Red Hat Linux 9 on my computer, but i didn't do a dulle boot so its just linux runing on my computer and not any windows operating system. Well I have decided that i wan't to put windows back on so i can play my games, but i don't know how to clear a drive in linux i can reformat and clear a drive in windows so u start from scratch, but im lost when it comes to linux so i need some help removing linux from my system can any one help?

If at all posible i don't want to get a new hardrive.

Just Joined!

what version of windows?

what version of windows do you want to re-install? personally, i'd go for XP.

if you want to format your drive, and just have a windows box, thats pretty easy to do, but how youwould go about it depends on the version of windows you want to put on (XP can do it during the install process, 98 you have to grab a bootdisk and do it manually, etc)

its pretty easy to remove the linux partitions and create a partition suitable for windows, and you wont have to get a new drive.

Linux Engineer
    You DEFINATLY DO NOT want to let windows handle the repartitioning of the disks as it is incapable of recognising linux partions and will wipe them. If you post the current partiton setup I can help you with some meaningfull sugestion on what space to free up and how to do it. Use cfdisk under linux to view the partiton setup and if you could allso add what you use each partiton for and the amount of free space on each.

Just Joined!

isnt that exactly what he wants?

Well I have decided that i wan't to put windows back on
    -snippetysnip-
    so i need some help removing linux from my system can any one help?
    from that, one would assume that wiping the linux partitions is what he wants to actually do, remove linux, re-install windows. if that is the case, then surely the easiest method of removing linux in its entirity is just to remove the linux partitions and replace them with partitions suitable for installing windows.

Just Joined!

Re: isnt that exactly what he wants?

Quote Originally Posted by zidane
    Well I have decided that i wan't to put windows back on
    -snippetysnip-
    so i need some help removing linux from my system can any one help?
    from that, one would assume that wiping the linux partitions is what he wants to actually do, remove linux, re-install windows. if that is the case, then surely the easiest method of removing linux in its entirity is just to remove the linux partitions and replace them with partitions suitable for installing windows.

See, but how do i remove the partions im really new to linux so i don't really don't know anything. But also remember i'm running just linux there isn't any windows on my computer at all i didn't do a dulle boot which was stupid on my part.

Just Joined!

so, lets just clear this up....

ok, i think we are operating at cross purposes here.

do you want to....

1. dual boot? have both windows *and* linux on your pc? im sure that variant knows much more about dual boot systems than me (im a newbie too )

or

2. get rid of linux and put windows back onto the machine, so you *only* have windows on the machine. if you want to just have windows on the machine, which version?

Just Joined!
    Ok to clear things up i want to get rid of linux completly cuz i want to play my games and i can't do it with linux so i want to install win 98 SE cuz i have it here and i don't want to spend the money right now for another windows (cuz they don't deserve my money lol ). So can any one help.

Linux Engineer
    insert the windows install cd and go to a command prompt. from there type fdisk and deleet all the "unknown" partitions and create one big dos partition. reboot and install windows from the CD.

I am sorry you linux expereance has not been good!

Edit: what games do you wantto play specificaly? many modern games are allso avaailable for linux nativly (not under an emulater) such games include Neverwinternights,RTCW,SOF2,Simcity,Quake2,3,UT200 3,UT2004,UT and Doom3 (when it comes out) There are more too but thats all I can think of at the momment!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by variant
    insert the windows install cd and go to a command prompt. from there type fdisk and deleet all the "unknown" partitions and create one big dos partition. reboot and install windows from the CD.

I am sorry you linux expereance has not been good!

Edit: what games do you wantto play specificaly? many modern games are allso avaailable for linux nativly (not under an emulater) such games include Neverwinternights,RTCW,SOF2,Simcity,Quake2,3,UT200 3,UT2004,UT and Doom3 (when it comes out) There are more too but thats all I can think of at the momment!
    Well i did what u said i stuck in my win 98 cd and whent in to fdisk, but it said it can't partion my drive or anything and it can't install windows. Is there any free partioning software out there for linux that i can use to create a windows partion so i can clear my hardrive and get windows back on.

Just Joined!

it cant? beat it with a stick ;)

okies....

make sure that before partitioning your drive, you delete the existing linux partitions.

basicly, your best bet is to boot from your cd or a wind98 bootdiskfloppy, and use fdisk to remove everything on your hdd. take your time, im not sure how many partitions you have, but my redhat install has three partitions. all three will need to be removed.

once you have removed everything on your drive, then choose to make a new primary dos partition, and just make it as big as your drive. once done, reboot, format and then you can install windows just fine.

if you want more detailed instructions, give us a shout, and it would be helpfull to know what fdisk says when it tells you it can partition the drive for you, the exact error message will probably explain the problem and provide an answer.

out of interest, is it just one game you want to play? and have you tried wine or something similar?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast