Find the answer to your Linux question:
My Linux machine is configured to be a DHCP client in Windows domain with WinNT PDC. It is also configured to be a Samba client, with 'xfsamba' software installed, so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Register Linux machine with WINS

My Linux machine is configured to be a DHCP client in Windows domain with WinNT PDC. It is also configured to be a Samba client, with 'xfsamba' software installed, so I can browse my Windows Network Neighborhood through KDE the way I do from Windows client.
    How can I register it with WINS, to make it 'visible' through Windows Network Neighborhood and to make it browsable by its name?
    Thank you

Linux Guru
    Doesn't that have to be done on the WINS server? If you're looking for standard NMB broadcast discovery, you will have to start the samba server, so that it will act as an SMB node on your network.

Linux User

LMHOSTS

Its been a few years but I think you can use an LMHOSTS file on the NT PC to hold static mappings of netbios names to ip addresses that would enable windows clients to ping it via its netbios name.

However if you want it to play an active part in your network then I would set samba up as a member server of your domain. install samba normal (I don't know what xfsamba is). set the options in the global area of the smb.conf so that secutiry = domain and then set the ip/name of the nt server. If you want I can find the exact details of the options you need. Let me know if you want them.

good luck

also can you tell me what xfsamba is?

I have a samba server running as a PDC and in GNOME to create a network nieghbourhood style shortcut on the desktop I created a new launcher to a URL with the URL = "smb://domainname" and changed the icon to a couple of PCS. That works fine for me.
    No trees were harmed during the creation of this message. Its made from a blend of elephant tusk and dolphin meat.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User

Re: LMHOSTS

Quote Originally Posted by kpzani
    also can you tell me what xfsamba is?

look here