Find the answer to your Linux question:
I downloaded something recently with a .img file in it, I need to mount it to install the application through Cedega, but I don't know how to mount the .img ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    kbk

mounting a .img

I downloaded something recently with a .img file in it, I need to mount it to install the application through Cedega, but I don't know how to mount the .img file. I downloaded something called "mount iso" and "ccd2iso", mount iso installed fine, but I apparently need "aclocal-1.6" for ccd2iso. Where do I find aclocal-1.6? Or is there an alternate way to mount the image?

Linux Enthusiast
    If the .img file is in a standard format then you should be able to use the loopback driver.

Code:
    modprobe loop
    mount -o loop ./<filename>.img /mnt/<some folder>
    replacing the <> bits with appropriate values. When you are done umount the mounted directory normally. If it complains that you must specify a filesystem type, then it hasn't recognised the filesystem on the img. You may need to specify it with the "-t <filesystem type>" flag.

Let us know how you get on

Chris...
    To be good, you must first be bad. "Newbie" is a rank, not a slight.

kbk
    What is the filesystem for it? Also, where do I put in that data, after or before loop? Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    that's a fine question, but I can't tell anything from the file extension. Try this:

Code:
    file <filename>.img
    If that doesn't return anything useful you may have to give us more details on where you got the image and what it is for.

For your other question:

Code:
    mount -t <filesystem> -o loop <filename> <dir>
    Let us know how you get on,

Chris...

kbk
    It says the file is "data" but when I that in, it says unknown type..

Linux Enthusiast
    I'm not totally surprised it didn't work, I would expect the file and mount commands to use similar routines to determine file types.

Can you tell us what the image file is supposed to be? You mentioned trying to install ccd2iso. Does that mean you are working with a clonecd image?

If you could give us a bit more background we may be able to help further.

Let us know how you get on,

Chris...

kbk
    It is supposed to be a game, and I downloaded ccd2iso because the readme for mount-iso said that in order to use .img I needed it. Then when I tryed to install it I was told I needed aclocal-1.6, and I couldn't find anywhere to download that.

Linux Enthusiast
    Did the game come with any instructions about what you were supposed to do with the img file? While mount-iso says img files belong to clonecd, there is no guarantee, you would be better looking at any instructions that came with the game.

aclocal should come with automake. If you need help installing that tell us what distribution you are using and we will see what we can do.

let us know how you get on,

Chris...

kbk
    I'm using Mepis, and I installed automake and I don't think I had any problems with it, but when I tried installing ccd2iso it said the same thing, that I needed aclocal. The instructions with the game were to mount the .img and install, then move the game.exe file to the directory it was installed to.

Linux Enthusiast
    Can you quote the relevant section of the instructions that talk about mounting the img file. Better yet, can you post a link to the game so I can take a look there.

I'm not sure about the problem with aclocal, but then I'm still not convinced you need ccd2iso. Also, the game.exe is suspicious. Linux doesn't normally use exe files unless you are using Mono or Wine.

Chris...