Find the answer to your Linux question:
Heres my question: I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my laptop. I created a a root password and one account during setup. Now i log in under my account ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Red Hat 8.0 root quesion

Heres my question: I just installed Red Hat 8.0 on my laptop. I created a a root password and one account during setup. Now i log in under my account name and password(non-root). I dont mind putting in my password everytime i want to access system settings but root account is controlling too much. I put in a CD to install some RPM's, but now I can't eject it. It says only root can eject it. Is there a way i can turn my account into the root account? OR disable the root from controlling too much? thanx

Linux Guru
    If it says that only root could unmount the CD, you must have done something strange along the way. My CD gets perfectly user-mounted in RH8.0 using the standard mounting methods.
    The best to gain some root access is probably to add some extra admin groups to your account.

Linux User
    edit your /etc/sudoers file and copy the part that says

root ALL=(ALL) ALL

and add below it the same thing only with your name

majorwoo ALL=(ALL) ALL

now whenever you need to do something as root you can do sudo

[majorwoo@woo majorwoo]$ ls /root/
    ls: /root/: Permission denied
    [majorwoo@woo majorwoo]$ sudo ls /root/
    password:
    anaconda-ks.cfg client_fstab install.log install.log.syslog
    [majorwoo@woo majorwoo]$

worth noting - you will enter YOUR password, not roots
    also - if you do this same thing for other people they can break things - that line gives them full root access - even change the root password

sudo passwd root WILL let them change the root password
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.

Just Joined!
    In order to use sudo, you need to have the package installed. I just loaded RH8 up, so I'm not sure if it's installed by default or not. Anyhow. I believe there is a way that you can set up the fstab to mount the CDROM with user privileges instead of root privileges.

Another neat thing with RH8 is that if you do stuff through the GUI (I use Gnome), then it remembers that you entered in the correct password for root and you won't have to reauthenticate as much. It only "remembers" for a short period of time, so if you don't use it right away, it will "forget" again.

Just Joined!
    In order to use sudo, you need to have the package installed. I just loaded RH8 up, so I'm not sure if it's installed by default or not. Anyhow. I believe there is a way that you can set up the fstab to mount the CDROM with user privileges instead of root privileges.

Another neat thing with RH8 is that if you do stuff through the GUI (I use Gnome), then it remembers that you entered in the correct password for root and you won't have to reauthenticate as much. It only "remembers" for a short period of time, so if you don't use it right away, it will "forget" again.

Linux User
    FYI sudo should be installed (check for an /etc/sudoers file)
    but I believe Gnome is actualy using sudo for its remembering your password, maybe not - wassy might know that one? Anyhow, its doing something similar.

But all of that aside, RH8 should have set the CDROM up to be mountable by anyone normally - now keep in mind of root mounts it, he owns it so normal user cant umount it...

/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0

is the default line, it should work fine.
    majorwoo

Quiet brain, or I\'ll stab you with a Q-tip.