Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like when windows explorer crashes in one windows and I end task the taskbar and desktop have to reload too... So that wont happen in linux?? No more of this?? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap

Like when windows explorer crashes in one windows and I end task the taskbar and desktop have to reload too... So that wont happen in linux?? No more of this??
    http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/ima...e8922c1725.jpg

In the thread: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/cof...ndows-one.html

I have been discussing GUIs..

Linux User
    Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    Like when windows explorer crashes in one windows and I end task the taskbar and desktop have to reload too... So that wont happen in linux??
    Well, I certainly don't want to make any promises that the distro you select won't be able to keep, but I will say that in my experience large-scale crashes are much more rare under Linux than Windows. For instance, I just noticed last week that in SuSE 10.1 if I happen to hit the "pause/break" button on the keyboard then everything goes down, but I was pretty surprised because I've been running this computer with different versions of SuSE for a year and a half and this was the first time this happened.

Anyway, the point is this is not a professional or even a very informed opinion. I've only ever installed four or five different distros on various computers, but I have been very pleased with Linux distros, enough to want to try out more on different computers, enough to learn more about the system and even bash scripting, and enough to want to help out people who are interested in switching. I can't think of a single reason for, in my case, going back to Windows.

Banned
    U use wine?? Cuz not many apps R4 linux! Anyways, next off, I wanna run Linux off a boot CD, but here are my concerns:

Settings: If i wanna change my password wallpaper, etc and I boot from a CD, how duz it store my settings, since u cant change what's on a CD!!

HDs: Will booting linux off a CD intefere with my HDs, my 100GB HD only works when booted from, when I set it as the slave or have it as the master but boot from a slave, it doesnt show up, no maybe linux might try to format it??

Programs: If i wanna install apps, I cant install them to a CD!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    U use wine?? Cuz not many apps R4 linux!
    You're misinformed. There are thousands (if not millions) of applications and games available for Linux, they're just not the high-profile commercial ones you're used to in MS Windows. Often times there is a free (no cost) application that offers all the same features as a commercial product you use in MS Windows, such as Nero. The open-source program K3B offers most (if not all) of the same features, is completely free and runs natively in Linux. It's not a matter of the programs not being out there; it's a matter of knowing where and how to look for them.

The vast majority of Linux users do not rely on WINE or programs like it because we can do all of our daily tasks in Linux using other programs.

Anyways, next off, I wanna run Linux off a boot CD, but here are my concerns:

Settings: If i wanna change my password wallpaper, etc and I boot from a CD, how duz it store my settings, since u cant change what's on a CD!!
    Some Live CD distributions like Knoppix will let you store your personal settings on a 3.5" floppy disc or a USB flash drive, which you would then load each time you booted.

HDs: Will booting linux off a CD intefere with my HDs, my 100GB HD only works when booted from, when I set it as the slave or have it as the master but boot from a slave, it doesnt show up, no maybe linux might try to format it??
    Booting off a LiveCD will not touch your harddrives unless you specifically run a harddrive install program or mount the harddrive inside the LiveCD environment. Even if you mount the harddrive (such as when it shows up on the Knoppix desktop) you can still view the contents of the drive without hurting it. If you try to delete, write to it, or partition it you will lose data however.

Programs: If i wanna install apps, I cant install them to a CD!!
    That's the main problem with using a LiveCD as your main OS; you can't really customize the application choices because everything is already burned into the CD. It's possible (though not necessarily easy) to install a version of Knoppix on your home machine, install/uninstall as you like and then re-create a LiveCD with only what you want. This is an advanced process however.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    Well I guess there are lots of apps to burn CDs etc, just none i know of but sooner ot later ill learn!! Whats the best CD Burner Utility?? If I boot from a CD thoguh, how can I burn?? Anyways, can I store my settings on my USB HD, its in FAT32, is that an okay filesystem for linux seetings?? Also, can I chose to get linux to ignore my 100GB HD like its not there?? Cuz I dont wanna unplug it everytime I boot linux...

Well I guess there are lots of apps to burn CDs etc, just none i know of but sooner ot later ill learn!! Whats the best CD Burner Utility??
    Everyone has their favorites. Mine is K3b.

If I boot from a CD thoguh, how can I burn??
    That's another limitation of a LiveCD. *SOME* Linux LiveCD distributions will let you load the OS into RAM and then remove the disc, but you need a PC with a pretty good amount of RAM to be able to do this.

The process I was talking about (where you burn your own LiveCD) requires that you first install it onto your harddrive and boot it from there.

Anyways, can I store my settings on my USB HD, its in FAT32, is that an okay filesystem for linux seetings??
    It's possible, but the exact procedure depends on what LiveCD you're using. Linux can read and write just fine to FAT32 partitions.

Also, can I chose to get linux to ignore my 100GB HD like its not there?? Cuz I dont wanna unplug it everytime I boot linux...
    You don't have to unplug anything. When you boot from a LiveCD your harddrive is not touched unless you specifically tell it to do something with it, as I said before.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Well I guess there are lots of apps to burn CDs etc, just none i know of but sooner ot later ill learn!! Whats the best CD Burner Utility?? If I boot from a CD thoguh, how can I burn?? Anyways, can I store my settings on my USB HD, its in FAT32, is that an okay filesystem for linux seetings?? Also, can I chose to get linux to ignore my 100GB HD like its not there?? Cuz I dont wanna unplug it everytime I boot linux...
    You can dual boot.

Banned
    So If I dotn tell it to access 100 GB it wont, its actually the opsoite of what I said!! SO w/ live CDs to boot off an HD pick settings thennburn??
    About dual boot, is that easyto do, cuz i dunno which distro comes with DB apps, Im thinkning of using DSL [damnsmall...] then shen I get a better PC i may use ubuntu..]

Just Joined!
    It's easy, do a search on it.

Banned
    Duz DSL have a Boot Manger, if not i'll need to get one. ALso, duz linux use a resource fork like macintosh, or extensions like windows, or its own system???

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast