Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Originally Posted by realg187 Duz DSL have a Boot Manger, if not i'll need to get one. All Linux distributions either include out of the box or work with boot ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by realg187
    Duz DSL have a Boot Manger, if not i'll need to get one.
    All Linux distributions either include out of the box or work with boot managers like GRUB or LILO. I know for a fact that DSL Linux installs a bootloader (GRUB I believe) when you install it on your drive.

ALso, duz linux use a resource fork like macintosh, or extensions like windows, or its own system???
    I don't know what you're asking here. Resource forks were a programming practice for older Macintosh programs (OS 9 and below) and are no longer implemented in OS X to my knowledge. What kinds of "extensions" are you talking about in MS Windows? Better yet, what are you asking to begin with?
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Banned
    By my Gat and [modded] PSP listening to Gangsta Rap
    Like how duz linux know the type of a file, ex windows knows apps cuz there are named xxx.exe, MP3s are xxx.mp3. Macintosh uses a system in which that infomation about file type is stored within the file!! Anyways, are bootmanagers easy to insall/use?? My 100GB HD acts funny unless IO boot XP off it ,so Im thinking of using my 3GB HF I use for 98 in a DB situation.

Boot Device Effect
    IDE 00 Windows XP
    IDE 01 Windows 98/Linux Boot Menu

Just Joined!
    Whatever distro you choose will have either Lilo or Grub as a boot manager. Both are capable of dual booting between windows and linux. You would probably be better off starting out with Mandriva or Fedora since they have a graphical installation.

Just pic a distro and start playing with it. Other than doing that you will not learn Linux by asking a million questions without actually installing it. Windows is Windows. Mac is Mac. Linux is a whole new ball game. Each distro is somewhat different than the other. Stop worrying if Linux is like Windows or Mac. Just Do it!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux User
    You don't really have to worry about file extensions in Linux. .exe files probably won't work (except sometimes under wine and with special fiddling), but other than that .mp3 files will work and most other files with file extensions can be read if you have a program for them. You can have a file extension in Linux or not. It's not really like Windows where the OS needs a file extension in order to know what to do with file. In Linux, again, it's all about programs and the different layers of programs.

If, for instance, you want to run a music-player program like Amarok (for users familiar with iTunes) or Xmms (for users familiar with winAmp), that program itself will recognize the file extensions and know what to do with those files, provided you have the right codecs for those files. Mp3 is a proprietary format so most Linux distros DO NOT come with the codecs needed to play mp3s. These codecs are easily retrievable in most instances, however.

Also, why are you thinking about damn small linux in particular?

Banned
    I have a crappy PC. Anyways, I like the idea of Xmms, so I downlaod that and the MP3 codec, it should come with an MP3 codec, everyone uses mp3!!!

Anyways, Can I find what I need here:
    http://dir.linuxforums.org/
    Is it free??

Also can http://www.nllgg.nl/ted/ read Micorsoft Word Files, cuz that what they have at my school and the library, so I need to be able to access my files on both PCs!!

Also, I just wanna know,I dont have internet [yet], so can I download linux apps on windows to my flash drive then vrign them into linux and they'll work?? I use the resorce fork thing, cuz I if I download MacOS apps in windows they wont work sicne windows detorys the resorce fork and when i try to open a mac applicationa after its been in a windows file sysem, it wont work, unless its in a SIT of HQX file!

Linux User
    Also, I just wanna know,I dont have internet [yet], so can I download linux apps on windows to my flash drive then vrign them into linux and they'll work?? I use the resorce fork thing, cuz I if I download MacOS apps in windows they wont work sicne windows detorys the resorce fork and when i try to open a mac applicationa after its been in a windows file sysem, it wont work, unless its in a SIT of HQX file!
    At this point, you will probably get a lot more accomplished if you install a version of Linux on a partition on one of your harddrives. You can then use whatever package-manager the distro comes with to install programs. If you will not have internet access, this will be somewhat problematic, but, yes, you should be able to download programs onto the Windows drive and then put them onto the computer using Linux.

This is probably much more effort than needs to be undertaken. Do you not have internet access at all on the computer where Linux will be installed?

Also can http://www.nllgg.nl/ted/ read Micorsoft Word Files, cuz that what they have at my school and the library, so I need to be able to access my files on both PCs!!
    A program like Abiword or OpenOffice (the latter requiring probably more memory than 128MB) will read Microsoft Word Documents. They are freely distributed.

I have a crappy PC. Anyways, I like the idea of Xmms, so I downlaod that and the MP3 codec, it should come with an MP3 codec, everyone uses mp3!!!
    I don't understand why you downloaded xmms if you haven't yet installed Linux? In addition, you don't need to use DSL just because you have a "crappy pc." There are many distros that will work fine, but you will need to be careful with selecting a GUI. This is why we recommended you go with a lightweight GUI. You can certainly go with DSL, if you want. I don't personally know much about it, but I'm sure people here can answer questions relating to it.

Anyways, Can I find what I need here:
    http://dir.linuxforums.org/
    Is it free??
    You probably won't be able to find everything you need at that spot, but you can find programs elsewhere. In general, it's much easier to install programs with a package manager. A package manager will go out to its special locations, repositories, download everything you will need for a particular program to run, then it will install that program on your computer. All you will have to do is enter the right command or click the right buttons and the package manager does all the rest.

This is Linux, which means that most everything you come across will be free. All the programs and all distros we've mentioned in this thread are freely distributed.

One final point: you are right to point out that everyone uses the mp3 format, but the reason it is not frequently included for Linux distros is somewhat of a philosophical point. This philosophy has to do with open source software, software that can be easily changed and that, in a sense, is "owned" by no one individual. People like us benefit from this philosophy in that we receive freely distributed software because no one really owns it, and it is because of this that I don't often complain about having to jump through hoops to get my computer to play mp3s. The situation isn't perfect, but it's better than having to pay for someone's secret, poorly constructed code, and maybe someday there will be a free version that people use more than they use mp3.

Banned
    yeah all free!! Anyways, the PC w/ linux [which doesnt have linux yey] doesnt have the internet on it, we are getting it and I am trying to convince my dad to run a ethernet cable downstairs to my router... I am getting a New[er] PC soon for myself with a p3 600Mhz.

Quote Originally Posted by eraker
    One final point: you are right to point out that everyone uses the mp3 format, but the reason it is not frequently included for Linux distros is somewhat of a philosophical point. This philosophy has to do with open source software, software that can be easily changed and that, in a sense, is "owned" by no one individual...
    I think a more prevalent reason is that free distributions either cannot or will not pay the royalties needed to distribution MP3 playing codecs with their product. I'm sure ideology enters into it to some extent, but a lot of it is just plain economics. When you don't charge for a distribution it makes it hard to be able to afford licenses... even if you aren't morally opposed to them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Linux Newbie
    http://www.fluendo.com/resources/fluendo_mp3.php

Any distribution or Unix maker out there who want to include the Fluendo MP3 plug-in with their distribution can do so by just signing a contract with Fluendo to become an official redistributor. This contract includes no monetary compensation to Fluendo for getting the right to redistribute the Fluendo MP3 plug-in and no demands of additional purchases from Fluendo. The main purpose of the contract is to satisfy our upstream contractual requirements. By signing this contract any distribution can support mp3 out of the box without any additional license fee.

Banned
    Can I get it for free though??

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast