Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just stumbled up across this thing called Webmin. WOW. I'm impressed. I have an idea now. I have my main computer which is a windows xp. And I have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Server idea

I just stumbled up across this thing called Webmin.

WOW. I'm impressed.

I have an idea now.

I have my main computer which is a windows xp.

And I have a few old windows 98 computers that I will be installing Ubuntu server LAMP on.

Now since I have limited space in my house this is the greatest thing ever.

I will run Vmware on my windows xp and install a lightweight distro meant on controlling the other servers via webmin.

Now I only have to have the boxes of these old computers.

I can chuck out the monitor, mouse, keyboard. I can easily line up 7 machines without any of the extra stuff.

So that's where you guys come in.

I'm looking for a light weight distro to install through Vmware player than can control the other servers via webmin.

The question is. Which light weight distro for vmware player should I use?

I'm looking for something really light weight. (Not a Live CD)

What do you guys think of this idea?

To administer the computers through webmin, you dont need to install anything through vmware at all. Webmin is all web based, so it doesn't matter what computer you access it from is running. As long as it can browse to the relevent page.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Quote Originally Posted by sdousley
    To administer the computers through webmin, you dont need to install anything through vmware at all. Webmin is all web based, so it doesn't matter what computer you access it from is running. As long as it can browse to the relevent page.
    Yeah - you can even administrate your Linux system from Internet Explorer (yeah, I know... but it is possible).

If you're setting up seven linux computers side by side, you might want to consider setting up a linux cluster to that they all appear as a single powerful machine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Oh righhhttttt.

I was thinking of something like VNC. haha.

Forgot for a sec that it was "WEB"min.

Anyways. So I just have to install it on the servers and then I can access it from anywhere.

Beautiful.

Linux Newbie
    if you're a bit handy on the diy front you could look into saving yourself even more space by building yourself a custom case, or 'rack' that can hold seven mobos, seven PSUs, seven (or more) HDDs, ...etc. No point having all those cases filled with loads of fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by gloomer
    I was thinking of something like VNC. haha..
    Even VNC would work from windows to see a linux desktop. It's just a case of finding the right VNC server.

Personally for a server, IMO, ssh is all that's needed But Webmin is a nice tool for people that lack knowledge and confidence to administer the server purely from the command line.

Quote Originally Posted by bentaylor
    if you're a bit handy on the diy front you could look into saving yourself even more space by building yourself a custom case, or 'rack' that can hold seven mobos, seven PSUs, seven (or more) HDDs, ...etc. No point having all those cases filled with loads of fresh air.
    That's a great idea! But i dont have 7 PC's worth of stuff to do it with!!
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327