Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I just installed firefox 2.0 in my laptop running MEPIS 6.0. I previously had the 1.5.0.3 (which comes with MEPIS) and using synaptics I could only have version 1.5.0.8. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Update Firefox version in synaptics

Hi,

I just installed firefox 2.0 in my laptop running MEPIS 6.0. I previously had the 1.5.0.3 (which comes with MEPIS) and using synaptics I could only have version 1.5.0.8. Now that I installed version 2 synaptics won't recognize it. How can I update the version of firefox I use in synaptics?

Thanks!

FireFox 2 is not available in Sources yet and Synaptic wont recognize it. if FireFox 2 working fine, keep old version as it is. when FireFox 2 will available in sources, Synaptic will remove older version.

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks devils_casper

Unfortunately i've overwritten the previous version so it's late for that. Is there another way to tweak Synaptics, like editing a file containing the version of firefox?

is FireFox 2 working correctly? if yes, then no need to worry. keep using it. 'FireFox Automatic Updater' will keep on updating FireFox 2 to latest available version on 'mozilla' site.

casper

I downloaded Firefox 2 but have absolutely no idea how to install it! Can someone please help me? There are no instructions..

Quote Originally Posted by netstrider
    I downloaded Firefox 2 but have absolutely no idea how to install it! Can someone please help me? There are no instructions..
    right click on downloaded file and select 'Extract here'. this will create 'firefox' folder at same location. in this folder, look for 'firefox' file. double-click on it. FireFox 2 will pop-up.
    create a symlink of 'firefox' file on Desktop or in Menu.

casper