Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Zephead When I type in "fdisk /dev/hda" it says "unable to open /dev/hda" you must be logged in as 'root' to execute 'fdisk' command. do you have ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Quote Originally Posted by Zephead
    When I type in "fdisk /dev/hda" it says "unable to open /dev/hda"
    you must be logged in as 'root' to execute 'fdisk' command.

do you have SATA disk? if yes, replace 'hda' with 'sda'.
    Code:
    fdisk /dev/sda

casper
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok I booted from the XP cd and went to repair and typed FIXMBR and it did it. But now it won't boot XP or Fedora it says system not parallel or something like that so I guess I'm S.O.L. 'cause nothing will boot now. Can anything be done or should I just re-install XP again and then do Fedora 6 the right way without Partition Magic?

Partition Magic did something wrong with Windows. i would suggest to re-install Windows Only. during Windows installation, select existing C:\ drive for install.
    you dont have to re-install Fedora.

after Windows installation, boot up from Fedora Installation CD/DVD and execute this code at boot: prompt,
    Code:
    linux rescue
    chroot /mnt/sysimage
    grub-install /dev/sda
    press Ctrl+D two times.

Casper

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Before reading this I already re-installed XP and deleted all of the partitions that I had made for Fedora so Fedora is gone too. Now that I have a fresh HDD with no partitions on it just the whole space of the drive has XP on it. What's the best way to go about doing a dual boot now? What about the swap file? I have 2048 MB of RAM so should I make the swap file 2-3 times the amount of RAM I have or won't it let you do more than 2500? Thanks for you help on this man I really appreciate it.

download GParted LiveCD. its just 30MB and one of the best Partition Manager. burn .iso image to CD and boot from it. resize partition.
    check this Link.
    2048 MB RAM... you dont need SWAP space. dont create SWAP partition.

casper

Just Joined!
    So GParted live cd is an ISO? So boot from the gparted cd first? And do the partition. Is it better to make the Fedora partition after or before the XP one?

So GParted live cd is an ISO?
    yes ! its an .iso image and you have to burn it as an image on CD.

your Harddisk must have Free space for Fedora. if all the disk space is occupied by Windows then you have to shrink it to create some space for Fedora. you can do this with GParted easily.

Is it better to make the Fedora partition after or before the XP one?
    it depends. if you know what you are doing then you can create partitions during Fedora Install. as i suggested earlier, you dont need SWAP space. creating Manual Partitions is best option coz Fedora's Installer will create SWAP space by default.

shrink Windows partition. Create two ext3 partitions. first 102 MB for /boot and second / (root) using rest of free space. during Fedora installation, select manual Partitioning and mark these partitions as /boot and / ( root ).

casper

Just Joined!
    Alright I got this working using GParted Live CD to do the partitions and it's dual booting perfectly with XP as the default booter!!! Thanks Casper.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2