Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello pep's, oki this isnt about which linux version is right for me user wise, its a question with hardware capability's. The only thing i need to be able to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

I need your brain

Hello pep's, oki this isnt about which linux version is right for me user wise, its a question with hardware capability's. The only thing i need to be able to do with the system is download and watch media. Ideally in a GUI but i can do without if not possible. So pls make ur sudjestions as to the best option for me with the following specs.

Pentium 2: 350mhz
    100GB Harddisk
    64MB Ram
    phat dvd burner

Cheers folks

You're going to definitely want something lightweight. Damn Small Linux or Puppy Linux are a couple of the more popular in that genre. Damn Small works fine on my very old 450mHz P3 laptop with 64MB of RAM, so you should do okay with that one.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    fantastic, cheers for the quick response if im not back in a few hours somethings gone horribly wrong

You may also want to take a look at DeLi Linux.
    Linux Mint + IceWM Registered: #371367 New Members: click here

Just Joined!
    heh, well, i downloaded Deli, Damn Small and Puppy Linux. then realized that i only had one blank disk left, so i took a shot with Deli. The fact that im still using damn windows will tell u it didnt go well. The disk wouldnt boot, i burnt it straight from an iso with nero, no errors. switched my boot priority, then turned off all hardisks in the boot list, still nothing. is there some special way of installing deli or am i just that big a nub :$ ? Anyways off to buy more blanks and will try out Puppy next.

Just Joined!
    Sounds like deli doesn't have a autorun.bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Techson
    Sounds like deli doesn't have a autorun.bat.
    .BAT files are MS-DOS and MS Windows specific. Linux does not use them.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Quote Originally Posted by Avenem
    Hello pep's, oki this isnt about which linux version is right for me user wise, its a question with hardware capability's. The only thing i need to be able to do with the system is download and watch media. Ideally in a GUI but i can do without if not possible. So pls make ur sudjestions as to the best option for me with the following specs.

Pentium 2: 350mhz
    100GB Harddisk
    64MB Ram
    phat dvd burner

Cheers folks
    You're gonna seriously struggle. I have been setting up a media server machine for the past few days; it started life as a PIII 550 with 256MB ram, and a GF3-summat Ti video card; it couldn't play full screen movies without dropping frames.

I swapped the mainboard for an old dual cpu PIII board with a 1GHz PIII I'd got lying around (one of the sockets is broken where the H/S and Fan clips on, so I can only use it with 1 CPU) and that is finally quick enough.

I tried the KnoppMyth distro - and that was absolutely fantastic, but wouldn't save the channels from my DVB TV card.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxoff
    You're gonna seriously struggle. I have been setting up a media server machine for the past few days; it started life as a PIII 550 with 256MB ram, and a GF3-summat Ti video card; it couldn't play full screen movies without dropping frames.
    TBH dude, that sounds a crumby harddisk access speeds, i have been running windows XP pro on this system and very rarely get frame's dropped from full screen media, and thats with an nivida riva128 (8mb), however i did have almost all my services turned off when doing it. But never the less, ur system sounds like it should have ran without any troubles.

Anyways i found this program on the deli disk called "sbootmgr", i was just wondering if anyone new if it was safe to use?
    Last edited by techieMoe; 12-05-2006 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tags