Find the answer to your Linux question:
hiya, was wondering if anyone could explain the different ways of having things run on start up for linux? In windows you normally just add a link to the "start" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

linux equivalent of windows "startup"?

hiya,

was wondering if anyone could explain the different ways of having things run on start up for linux? In windows you normally just add a link to the "start" (or whatever its called) folder in the menu, and it will boot when windows loads.

In linux it seems there are different ways to do it for the distribution itself (e.g. ubuntu) vs. kde vs. gnome.

So i'm not sure if i wanted to tell gaim to load when gnome/kde loads, or to tell a driver to load when ubuntu loads, where to set this up.

Any help would be appreciated!
    thanks
    Keith

In KDE there's a directory called autostart if I'm not mistaken. It's hidden inside your /home/yourusername/.kde/ directory. As for the details on how it works... I honestly couldn't tell you. It's just a place to start.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Check out this link: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

It should work for any distro - there doesn't appear to be anything Gentoo specific.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close